Smallholders Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: silverweed everywhere  (Read 3694 times)

farmers wife

• Joined Jul 2009
  • SE Wales
silverweed everywhere
« on: August 19, 2015, 10:14:52 pm »
We constructed the veg patch last winter, its ground level with grass paths.  However we have a serious problem with silverweed (Potentilla anseria), its growing all around the area and the paths (just natural paths) Its supposed to be the no dig method however after a few weeks on holiday and commitments the silverweed and clover had serious encroached over the veg patch and now I'm digging up the spuds its just everywhere.

Even though I am pulling it out surely if its around the grounds to the veg garden as much as I pull the stuff out its going to invade the soil once again.  Its in a vast area - help!

Lesley Silvester

• Joined Sep 2011
  • Telford
Re: silverweed everywhere
« Reply #1 on: August 19, 2015, 11:05:51 pm »
I'n not heard of it so I googled it and found it is classed as a herb and has a lot of uses, including as a food.

http://www.itmonline.org/arts/silverweed.htm

Fleecewife

• Joined May 2010
  • South Lanarkshire
    • ScotHebs
« Reply #2 on: August 20, 2015, 12:52:46 am »
Sounds like you could forget about the veggies and just eat the silverweed  :roflanim:

Have you tried covering the paths in a black polythene mulch, or weed suppressing fabric (not so slippy), weighed down with hefty wood chips or gravel and dug in a good depth along the edges?  This would eliminate the silverweed along the paths, and you could dig out the roots from the veg beds by hand.  I don't know for certain but I think it's one of those plants which reproduce from the tiniest bit of root left in the soil.

There was loads growing about the farm when I was a child and I loved it, but we have none here.
"Let's not talk about what we can do, but do what we can"

There is NO planet B - what are YOU doing to save our home?

Do something today that your future self will thank you for - plant a tree

Love your soil - it's the lifeblood of your land.

farmers wife

• Joined Jul 2009
  • SE Wales
« Reply #3 on: August 20, 2015, 03:00:56 pm »
Sounds like you could forget about the veggies and just eat the silverweed  :roflanim:

Have you tried covering the paths in a black polythene mulch, or weed suppressing fabric (not so slippy), weighed down with hefty wood chips or gravel and dug in a good depth along the edges?  This would eliminate the silverweed along the paths, and you could dig out the roots from the veg beds by hand.  I don't know for certain but I think it's one of those plants which reproduce from the tiniest bit of root left in the soil.

There was loads growing about the farm when I was a child and I loved it, but we have none here.

I agree about the path, but hubby (he who knows everything) doesnt want to do this.   But until we eliminate this crawling weed the problems are always going to be there. Feel like I'm battling against an expert who knows nothing - drives me mad!

Llandovery Lass

• Joined Mar 2011
« Reply #4 on: August 20, 2015, 06:11:49 pm »
I have the same problem, I have used old plastic feed bags and dug them in at the edges, about two spades deep and left it about level at the top. I still have to catch the menace and the creeping buttercups before they root but it does make life a lot easier. I am also very boring about getting all the root out of the 'clean' beds when I dig.
I failed to plant all that I have in previous years and have the best crop of silverweed I've ever seen, better look up some recipes.

Calvadnack

• Joined Jun 2009
« Reply #5 on: August 23, 2015, 08:09:13 pm »
After 10 years doing battle with this stuff, including covering some beds with fabric for a year, I am going to admit defeat and try the vinegar and salt weed killer method. I'm going to do this now on the beds for salads and roots.  I have goats so I've used thick layers of used straw bedding around the sweet corn and fruit bushes which has done a good job supressing all the weeds, but isn't useful for small, slug-prone veg. The silver weed just lurked underneath the landscape fabric I grew the potatoes through this year, but it did reduce the amount.

Fleecewife

• Joined May 2010
  • South Lanarkshire
    • ScotHebs
« Reply #6 on: August 23, 2015, 09:38:25 pm »
How long did you leave the weed suppressing fabric on Calvadnack?  I've noticed that TV presenters make claims such as 'leave it on for a few months and your problem's gone'.  My experience is different, especially with tough weeds such as couch grass, creeping thistle etc, and I suspect it applies to silverweed too.  I have found that even after a year these weeds have not been killed.  The top growth may be gone, but the instant they get some light they're off again. In particular, when you use a fabric with growing holes in, the weeds get enough light to pop up along with the veg.  I think to exclude all light, you need a thick mulch of strawy manure, with the fabric over it, then more old straw, about a foot deep, on the top.  Big thick cardboard boxes opened out under that lot will help with the light exclusion.  For the first 12 months at least, grow nothing through the fabric, then in the second year, try making holes through it.  I have a feeling though that once you have a really rampant weed you will need to cover your ground with a thick mulch forever  :garden:
Where the weed has runners, they will pop out through the sides and get the light for the whole plant that way.  Couch can pierce a hole through a potato, which shows how determined these plants can be.

Calvadnack

• Joined Jun 2009
« Reply #7 on: August 24, 2015, 04:54:18 pm »
A full year with the fabric doesn't work even without holes!! On weedy beds I'm doing the Charles Dowding cardboard/12 inches mulch with a fabric cover. I agree that there are just some weeds that are too persistent and on those beds I plant fruit bushes through the fabric and mulch.  I guess I'm just getting lazy, but I can't face the battle with too many uncovered beds!

The best mulch I've found is the unrotted barley straw from the goat beds which works all through the growing season, but does harbour the dreaded slugs.

Fleecewife

• Joined May 2010
  • South Lanarkshire
    • ScotHebs
« Reply #8 on: August 24, 2015, 06:19:05 pm »
<<< I guess I'm just getting lazy, but I can't face the battle with too many uncovered beds! >>>

Same here  ;D

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS