Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Growing carrots  (Read 3937 times)

GaryB1123

• Joined Aug 2015
Growing carrots
« on: August 05, 2015, 11:48:21 pm »
I live on a mountain, it's gets real cold in winter....the ground is frozen solid.
 Should I be growing my carrots in a poly tunnel?

Thanks
Gary

Cosmore

• Joined Jun 2015
  • Dorset
Re: Growing carrots
« Reply #1 on: August 06, 2015, 11:57:45 am »
I live on a mountain, it's gets real cold in winter....the ground is frozen solid.
 Should I be growing my carrots in a poly tunnel?

Thanks
Gary
gets real cold in winter....the ground is frozen solid. Permafrost? :o . ;D .

Hi, Ummm..if it's that cold, would a poly tunnel make any difference? I would think a heated greenhouse would be more use? :innocent: .
If you're on a mountain, I would worry about the wind, I imagine that it could be quite strong at times, certainly enough to damage a poly tunnel?
Good luck anyway - I don't envy you growing carrots! :) .

Jukes Mum

• Joined Apr 2014
  • North Yorkshire
« Reply #2 on: August 06, 2015, 01:18:45 pm »
Where is your mountain?
Can you not grow carrots in summer?
Don’t Monkey With Another Monkey’s Monkey

pgkevet

• Joined Jul 2011
« Reply #3 on: August 06, 2015, 03:51:40 pm »
The idea has to be to sow them early enough and then dig and store...or spend a fortune on soil warming cables.....

SallyN

• Joined Jun 2015
  • Nr Chard, Somerset
« Reply #4 on: August 07, 2015, 11:37:42 pm »
how about making yourself a hot box and sowing into that? would stay warm most of the winter even if it is freezing outside...

I'm thinking you're either living on the top of Snowdon or Ben Nevis, or you're in a different country ;D
Smallholding without the smallholding, on various bits of rented land and a big veg garden! Small flock of Dorset Down sheep, assorted hens and a couple of idle ponies.

devonlady

• Joined Aug 2014
« Reply #5 on: August 08, 2015, 08:12:54 am »
Were you thinking of harvesting your carrots as and when you need them as we can in the "Soft South"? If so, then no, you can't. You would need to grow your main crop carrots throughout the summer, dig them up before the first frosts and store them in sand/peat in containers in a frost free place. Hope this helps!

GaryB1123

• Joined Aug 2015
« Reply #6 on: August 10, 2015, 11:22:38 pm »
Thanks follow.. A few replies include 'storing carrots'...how do. Store them and keep them fresh?

Thanks,

devonlady

• Joined Aug 2014
« Reply #7 on: August 11, 2015, 11:33:17 pm »
When you dig them look them over carefully. Any that are damaged use up in soup or stews or puree and freeze. Get a container, put in a layer of one third sand two thirds peat and put in carrots, not touching each other, another layer of peat and sand, more carrots and so on.
You must make sure that the carrots don't touch each other in the  rows or in the layers. The store them in a frost free place.

Is this a WU?

GaryB1123

• Joined Aug 2015
« Reply #8 on: August 14, 2015, 11:07:51 pm »
 :roflanim:thanks for the reply, What is a 'wu'?

cloddopper

• Joined Jun 2013
  • South Wales .Carmarthenshire. SA18
« Reply #9 on: August 16, 2015, 12:26:29 am »
There is a type of carrot known as a ball carrot . the name gives the game away.

They take 21 days or more to germinate and become carrot balls about 30 mm in diameter as well as having very little root. The ball forms 2/3 rds  in , 1/3 rd  out the soil .
The variety of ball carrots I have in the gardens has been there for over four months and is just about ready for harvesting .

You can grown them in home made 1 mtr square trays of 6 inch deep quality soil or large 40 litre plus pots that have not been fertilized or manured for at least 18 months . They also grow very well in " cold frames " as do normal carrots if the soil is deep enough 
Strong belief , triggers the mind to find the way ... Dyslexia just makes it that bit more amusing & interesting

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS