Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Hello to all, from the Roethenbaugh's at Harveyshill Farm  (Read 2874 times)

richardharveyshill

• Joined Jun 2008
  • Hertfordshire
Hello to all, from the Roethenbaugh's at Harveyshill Farm
« on: June 04, 2008, 12:50:35 am »
We are situated in a small hamlet just outside Stevenage in Hertfordshire and have just over five acres of garden and paddocks surrounding our creaky old farm house. We have only been here for two years, having previously lived in a large housing estate in Stevenage. We have always been keen on our animals and kept half a dozen chickens at our old house. Since moving out of town we have added to the flock and now have 30 laying hens, a pair of Welsummers, two brahma cockrells (one of which needs a new home, or a one way ticket to the kitchen) and 5 geese!

I have looked at the TAS web site on and off for quite some time and thought that it would be fun and informative to join the forum as I am interested in expanding our activities and would like to gather advice where it is offered and offer my own where it might be of interest.

To start the ball rolling! I have a bit of a dilema developing with my geese. I have 3 girls sharing 2 nests in a large garden shed. As far as I can see they have around 15 eggs between them, they are due to hatch in the next few days. Does anyone have any advice on how to improve the survival rate of those that do hatch. Last year we lost 13 of the 14 that hatched in the first two weeks due to suffocation/crushing by the large clumsy parents.

That seems like a lot of blurb, hope that is ok. I am not a seasoned forum user!

stephen

• Joined Oct 2007
  • Kent
Re: Hello to all, from the Roethenbaugh's at Harveyshill Farm
« Reply #1 on: June 04, 2008, 12:36:51 pm »
hey welcome to the forums! cant help with advice on survival of the young im afraid but im sure someone on here will have some ideas!  ;D

Rosemary

• Joined Oct 2007
  • Barry, Angus, Scotland
    • The Accidental Smallholder
« Reply #2 on: June 04, 2008, 05:14:35 pm »
Like Stephen, welcome only but I'm sure someone will be able to help.

Fluffywelshsheep

• Joined Oct 2007
  • Near Stirling, Central Scotland
« Reply #3 on: June 05, 2008, 10:28:05 am »
hiya from fws

carole

• Joined Oct 2007
« Reply #4 on: June 05, 2008, 04:41:31 pm »
Hello from me too, I have geese but for the last 2 years have little to no results in hatching or rearing. For some reason they either become bored in sitting or as soon as 1 hatch they wander away.

Good luck, I am sure someone will offer good advice

Carole

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS