Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Where to put the sheep race  (Read 3127 times)

pharnorth

• Joined Nov 2013
  • Cambridgeshire
Where to put the sheep race
« on: August 19, 2015, 10:15:27 am »
So I have just been lucky enough to buy a second hand sheep race, guillotine gate, and a shedding gate.  I have a dozen sheep and probably won't go for more than 30.
Any thoughts on layout and where?  I have an over winter field, a field for the lambs followed by tupping, and a field usually used for ewe and lamb turn out. Any one position better than the rest or am I likely to keep lugging it around?  My first activity will be to feed into the turn over crate for pre tup MOT

Fleecewife

• Joined May 2010
  • South Lanarkshire
    • ScotHebs
Re: Where to put the sheep race
« Reply #1 on: August 19, 2015, 11:47:25 am »
We have ours at the highest point of our fields, as sheep like to run uphill for safety.
It is also in about the smallest one to minimise any running around.

It is positioned by a gate, so when we have completed a task on each sheep we can pop them through into the next field.  This is because we don't always complete every task on one day, so we know who's done and who's not.

Our fields have connecting gates all the way round, so we can play a kind of musical sheep, to get the group we want into the catching field ie the one with the pens.

Our tups are in a separate area across the road, and they are caught in a pen which is set across a bottle neck in a tiny paddock at one end of their pasture.
« Last Edit: August 19, 2015, 11:56:11 am by Fleecewife »
"Let's not talk about what we can do, but do what we can"

There is NO planet B - what are YOU doing to save our home?

Do something today that your future self will thank you for - plant a tree

Love your soil - it's the lifeblood of your land.

bigchicken

• Joined Nov 2008
  • Fife Scotland
« Reply #2 on: August 19, 2015, 11:51:25 am »
Yes at a gate between fields is usually a good place. I've got mine trained to come to my shout and can move then easily between three fields sometime they get a wee bit of feed but mostly it's just a bluff.
« Last Edit: August 19, 2015, 11:54:27 am by bigchicken »
Shetland sheep, Castlemilk Moorits sheep, Hebridean sheep, Scots Grey Bantams, Scots Dumpy Bantams. Shetland Ducks.

pharnorth

• Joined Nov 2013
  • Cambridgeshire
« Reply #3 on: August 19, 2015, 01:08:15 pm »
Thank you both that is helpful, narrows it down to two locations.  My fields were a square once which would have made the interconnecting bit a good prospect but one got sold before my time so now I have an L shape of 4 connecting fields, the lambing barn is off the middle of the L. ( wish I had Wombles drawing skills).  So 3 gates to choose from. Hmmm time for a walk

I'd struggle with the uphill!  Still in the undulating bit before the fens but nonetheless a good 4 miles to the nearest hill.   I do have a home built 'goat mountain' which is all of 2m high.

farmvet

• Joined Feb 2014
« Reply #4 on: August 19, 2015, 10:23:55 pm »
How about mounting it on an old flat trailer, then you can move it where you like and just need to pull out the hurdles for the catching pen, a bit like the pratley system

pharnorth

• Joined Nov 2013
  • Cambridgeshire
« Reply #5 on: August 20, 2015, 11:02:42 am »
Yes the trailer idea is a good one but as I don't have one and only paid £250 for the race is will more than double the cost, and I don't have much ground to cover. So at this stage I will make a guess on the best location given the advice above and then over a year or so see how often I wish I could move it!
Incidentally I did look at Tim Tynes book and the relevant pages on this site before posting but it is very helpful to get the live reactions from you guys

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS