Smallholders Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Shetlands going bald!  (Read 3373 times)

egglady

• Joined Jun 2009
Shetlands going bald!
« on: March 25, 2010, 04:53:07 pm »
As a relative newbie with sheep I am not sure if this is 'normal' or not.  We have 4 shetland ewes, all due to lamb beginning of April, with two looking like they are carrying twins.  All seem healthy but the last couple of days I've noticed that two of the ewes are almost bald on the area just above their docks (not sure if this is what this area is called in sheep but it is with horses!); basically it's the area above their tails (but not their tails) on their back - if that makes sense?

They arent in a new field or anything so presumably if there was somewhere to scratch they'd have done so before now?

Is there anything I should be worried about please?

All eating well.

woollyval

• Joined Feb 2008
  • Near Bodmin, Cornwall
    • Val Grainger
    • Facebook
Re: Shetlands going bald!
« Reply #1 on: March 25, 2010, 07:22:22 pm »
Have you treated for lice? I would imaging that they are rubbing on something! Its too early for fleece to start to rise and therefore in Shetlands 'rue'...and too cold! I would treat them with some 'Spot On' for sheep!
If not lice and they have been treated it may be a bit of rainscald.....
If deloused and healthy I would not worry unduely.
www.valgrainger.co.uk

Overall winner of the Devon Environmental Business Awards 2009

garden cottage

• Joined Sep 2008
  • forest of dean
« Reply #2 on: March 25, 2010, 07:24:55 pm »
wool loss is extremely common, either caused by stress, parasites (if itching) or illness, or none of these, weve had a couple of ryelands with loss around necks, theyve lambed and are fine.  worse case would be scrapie re constant itching develops scabs on skin, gradually lose weight.

Calvadnack

• Joined Jun 2009
« Reply #3 on: March 26, 2010, 12:24:35 pm »
My Shetlands are starting to lose some of their undercoat and I caught one of the ewes rubbing her bum against the fence.  My Wiltshires are also shedding, so if you've checked for lice it seems that Spring might just be here!

egglady

• Joined Jun 2009
« Reply #4 on: March 26, 2010, 03:43:34 pm »
thanks folks!  so it looks like i need to check for lice then!  where do I look and what am I looking for exactly?

Hermit

• Joined Feb 2010
« Reply #5 on: March 26, 2010, 04:29:40 pm »
My Shetland coats are coming away, ready for rooing, but I thought it was a bit early as well. Maybe a sign of good weather to come!!! :D

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS