Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: incubation  (Read 1994 times)

doss93

• Joined Mar 2010
incubation
« on: March 12, 2010, 08:29:15 pm »
i was worndering about getting some fertile eggs of ebay but i dont no anythink about incubation please give some advise on what sort of incubator too uses, what to feed and when how long are they in the incubator for and just genaral information on incubation

CameronS

• Joined Aug 2009
  • North East Fife
Re: incubation
« Reply #1 on: March 12, 2010, 08:54:52 pm »
it takes 21 days for eggs to hatch (give or take), there are hundreds of makes an models out there, i would reccomend a fully automatic one, it means all you have to do is keep the water level consistant, and check the eggs every so often.

When the chicks hatch they should stay in the incubator for about 24hours after they hatch allowing them to dry and fluff up. they don't need to eat or drink in the first 48hours as the yolk sac still provides for them, i would still have the food there (chick crumbs, easy to get from any animal feed suppliers), and water (in a shallow container so the can't drown) just to give them more freedom.
make sure day olds have sufficant heat, eg from a heat bulb. and that you allow for rapid growth of the birds.

bamford6

Re: incubation
« Reply #2 on: March 18, 2010, 11:45:29 am »
best bet have a day at the sales .get some silki crosses 6 would be good everey 9 weeks they will go broodey let them hatch youre eggs .iv got silki cross light sussex and silki cross wyndotte good layers 6 weeks old you will pay 5 pound each for the birds .6 eggs a day 1.50 for 6 free range eggs 9 pound a week stock paid for 3 weeks . hatch 20 to 30 take them to the sales and then get the feed with the cash .all free

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS