Smallholders Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Non-grain fed pigs  (Read 4351 times)

Foobar

• Joined Mar 2012
  • South Wales
Non-grain fed pigs
« on: August 06, 2015, 03:15:30 pm »
Does anyone on here raise pigs without using bagged feeds or grain?  And if so, what do you feed them instead?

Marches Farmer

• Joined Dec 2012
  • Herefordshire
Re: Non-grain fed pigs
« Reply #1 on: August 06, 2015, 08:20:40 pm »
Find a copy of a book called The Production and Marketing of Pigs, by H R Davidson, published in 1948.  There is a comprehensive section on combinations of feedstuffs for various stages of growth.

oaklandspigs

• Joined Nov 2009
  • East Sussex
    • OaklandsPigs
« Reply #2 on: August 07, 2015, 11:58:12 am »
are you looking to save money or don't want to feed grain?

www.Oaklandspigs.co.uk
"Perfect Pigs" the complete guide to keeping pigs; One Day Pig Courses in South East;
Weaners for sale - Visit our site for details

Foobar

• Joined Mar 2012
  • South Wales
« Reply #3 on: August 07, 2015, 12:08:56 pm »
I don't want to feed grain, or I would certainly like to feed a lot less of it. Money comes into it of course but I want to see what the non-grain options are (within the current food safety regs).  I know it'll mean taking longer to get to slaughter weight but that's okay.  This would be based on a rotational grazing pattern.

Rosemary

• Joined Oct 2007
  • Barry, Angus, Scotland
    • The Accidental Smallholder
« Reply #4 on: August 07, 2015, 12:36:43 pm »
It's the soya in pig feed that bothers me more than the grain.

HappyHippy

« Reply #5 on: August 07, 2015, 01:16:04 pm »
If you google the Newcastle document and pigs you'll find a document that gives protein guidelines / mixing information.
Consider kunekune pigs too, they do actually eat grass and only need about 1lb of hard feed (even as adults) Don't be put off by the small examples of the breed often found at shows - there are plenty bigger ones around that will typically reach slaughter size around 10-12 months.
HTH

Foobar

• Joined Mar 2012
  • South Wales
« Reply #6 on: August 07, 2015, 01:47:38 pm »
If you google the Newcastle document and pigs you'll find a document that gives protein guidelines / mixing information.
Consider kunekune pigs too, they do actually eat grass and only need about 1lb of hard feed (even as adults) Don't be put off by the small examples of the breed often found at shows - there are plenty bigger ones around that will typically reach slaughter size around 10-12 months.
HTH

Brill thanks.  Re: Kune Kune - shame they are just so darn'd ugly (IMO). :)   Are there any other breeds (or have lines within their breed) that fair well with pasture/forage feeding?

oaklandspigs

• Joined Nov 2009
  • East Sussex
    • OaklandsPigs
« Reply #7 on: August 07, 2015, 02:49:03 pm »
Are there any other breeds (or have lines within their breed) that fair well with pasture/forage feeding?

Yes they're called sheep   :D
www.Oaklandspigs.co.uk
"Perfect Pigs" the complete guide to keeping pigs; One Day Pig Courses in South East;
Weaners for sale - Visit our site for details

harmony

• Joined Feb 2012
« Reply #8 on: August 07, 2015, 05:05:26 pm »
I would think it will be very hard to give your pigs a balanced diet. Even commercial bagged feed is lacking to a degree in amino acids. Mixing your own feed from cereals requires a mineral supplement. In the the wild yes pigs forage but they would of course top up with meat from dead animals so upping the protein. They also aren't destined for the freezer.

I know people who fatten on whey. Very white flesh with a milky smell to it.

Be interested to know what alternatives you come up with though.

HappyHippy

« Reply #9 on: August 07, 2015, 10:09:03 pm »
They might be ugly (you think) but they're a very attractive breed in lots of other ways  ;)
Management - they'll follow you like a dog, super friendly, laid back characters. No hassles loading, escaping etc.
Land use - not as heavy as other breeds, less rooting, less poaching and damage to land.
Meat - sweeter, darker and THE most amazing pork we've had (and not just us, ask Rosemary lol!)
Financially - it'll cost you a fraction to keep kunekune versus traditional breeds. A kk sow will eat 1lb of feed per day - a big breed, 5lbs.
Are they looking any more attractive yet  :innocent: ;D

devonlady

• Joined Aug 2014
« Reply #10 on: August 07, 2015, 11:03:08 pm »
And their sweet temperament make them safe with children even when they have litters. I fact I would say they have nothing not going for them!

Foobar

• Joined Mar 2012
  • South Wales
« Reply #11 on: August 10, 2015, 10:52:56 am »
Mmmm....yes, maybe they are starting to look more attractive :).  Thanks all.

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS