Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Please help!  (Read 1985 times)

Rowantree1

• Joined Mar 2015
Please help!
« on: August 10, 2015, 04:33:04 pm »
 This year I have 10 Shetland fleeces to sell or else send away to be spun. Does anyone know of a place that will process my fleeces for me? Last year I used a mill in Derbyshire which was very expensive. Any advice greatly appreciated.  :)

Fleecewife

• Joined May 2010
  • South Lanarkshire
    • ScotHebs
Re: Please help!
« Reply #1 on: August 10, 2015, 05:06:26 pm »
Try The Natural Fibre Co  :spin:
"Let's not talk about what we can do, but do what we can"

There is NO planet B - what are YOU doing to save our home?

Do something today that your future self will thank you for - plant a tree

Love your soil - it's the lifeblood of your land.

Anke

• Joined Dec 2009
  • St Boswells, Scottish Borders
« Reply #2 on: August 10, 2015, 08:43:38 pm »
It will still be very expensive.... almost impossible to make a profit (selling spun wool) from that amount of fleece.

Dogwalker

• Joined Nov 2011
« Reply #3 on: August 10, 2015, 09:45:49 pm »
Have you tried selling them to your local spinners guild?

Rowantree1

• Joined Mar 2015
« Reply #4 on: August 11, 2015, 12:23:16 pm »
Thanks for your suggestions. I was hoping to keep some of the wool for myself too, but I know last time I sent it to Derbyshire and it cost me a fortune!  :-\

Fleecewife

• Joined May 2010
  • South Lanarkshire
    • ScotHebs
« Reply #5 on: August 11, 2015, 01:36:19 pm »
The only way you're going to get it done for free is to spin, felt or otherwise work it for yourself. 
Yes, the mills charge a lot, proportionately more for small quantities.  Have you had a look at the Natural Fibre Co website? They give you prices and plenty of advice about fleece and what you can do with it.  You will also learn the correct terminology, how best to prepare a fleece for selling, showing or sending to the mill, what options you have for processing, such as carded to batts, carded to roving, spun to yarn, or spun then woven to throws, blankets.
Have a look through past posts on this topic in 'crafts' to see how others deal with this same subject.

For next year, if you are sending meat lambs off for slaughter in their first autumn, you can get the skins back, salt them, then send them off to be processed into gorgeous sheepskins.
"Let's not talk about what we can do, but do what we can"

There is NO planet B - what are YOU doing to save our home?

Do something today that your future self will thank you for - plant a tree

Love your soil - it's the lifeblood of your land.

Bramblecot

• Joined Jul 2008
« Reply #6 on: August 11, 2015, 08:43:34 pm »
We have sent Shetland fleeces to  NFCo and they need about 14-15 to make 20kg weight.  You get back roughly half that weight in spun wool.  It saves money if you do not have it balled, but left in skeins, or even on cones. 
If you do not have 20kg, they will make up the weight but they charge for this.  If you want separate colours, you need 20kg of each.

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS