Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: My first year with chickens.  (Read 1888 times)

JD

• Joined Nov 2008
  • Glasgow
My first year with chickens.
« on: March 16, 2010, 04:02:04 pm »
Well thats my first year of keeping chickens in my back garden and I am hooked. Despite losing two over the winter, natural causes according to the vet, I have really enjoyed having them. They have been a great source of fun around the garden for me and and my neighbours and visitors to the house.  One anxious moment was when they wandered to the front garden which is on a busy main road after the window cleaner left the gate open. Thanks to a 'shut the gate' sign from HappyHippy that has not happened again. So between Rosemary's poultry keeping course and advice from you lot I think I have done ok for a city man. So many thanks to all for advice and help in my first year. 
I am now looking to expand my little flock by 2 or 3 so if anyone has any pol browns or similar for sale and is reasonably near Glasgow please let me know as I would prefer to buy from a fellow TAS'er.
Thanks again.
JD   

plumseverywhere

• Joined Apr 2013
  • Worcestershire
    • Its Baaath Time
    • Facebook
Re: My first year with chickens.
« Reply #1 on: March 16, 2010, 05:25:11 pm »
Have just increased my little flock after our first year too! its addictive and incredibly relaxing i find. My 3 year old tells me everyday "I love my chickens!!" so I know the family are hooked too  :)
Smallholding in Worcestershire, making goats milk soap for www.itsbaaathtime.com and mum to 4 girls,  goats, sheep, chickens, dog, cat and garden snails...

JD

• Joined Nov 2008
  • Glasgow
Re: My first year with chickens.
« Reply #2 on: March 16, 2010, 06:18:56 pm »
Yes Plums my grown up children have all said they would have loved to have had chickens in the garden when they were growing up.

JD

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS