Smallholders Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Feet trimming today  (Read 2400 times)

Roxy

• Joined May 2009
  • Peak District
    • festivalcarriages.co.uk
Feet trimming today
« on: March 15, 2010, 12:03:53 am »
Cain and Abel the two Anglo Nubians, we keep a very careful watch on their feet.  At the end of last summer they both suffered the most awful lameness and footrot - never had any goats or sheep that bad.  They had pus in between their hooves.  I did suspect the pet sheep Bertie, as they got it a few weeks after he arrived on their field, although he seemed fine.

Anyway, it took weeks of careful foot dipping, and clipping hooves.  Those two have never been good at having their feet done, but with having their feet sorted every few days, they did get used to it.

For some reason, they have always got a lot more growth on their hooves that the other goats.  Thinking back, Rosie an Anglo Nubian female we had some years ago, her feet grew very quick too.

I hope we manage to keep Cain and Abel foot rot free.  With all the rain and snow, causing mud, I am surprised they have not got it again already.

Rosemary

• Joined Oct 2007
  • Barry, Angus, Scotland
    • The Accidental Smallholder
Re: Feet trimming today
« Reply #1 on: March 15, 2010, 08:48:05 am »
Can you vaccinate against it as you can in sheep?

Maybe it's the desert ancestry of the breed that gives them fast growng feet to compansate for dry hard terrain. Although that woudl apply to most goats. wouldn't it.

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS