Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Can goats get fat?  (Read 1796 times)

Caroline1

• Joined Nov 2014
  • Cambridgeshire
Can goats get fat?
« on: July 30, 2015, 09:38:53 pm »
I know goats are grazers but is it possible to overfeed them. I keep increasing the food, but they always seem hungry. They are all female kids, 2 are also on milk, they have hay & grain mix complete food and various veg/greenery.

Should I just keep adding more food until they stop eating or ration them?

Appreciate your thoughts.
________
Caroline

Loobylou

• Joined May 2015
Re: Can goats get fat?
« Reply #1 on: July 30, 2015, 10:50:07 pm »
We feed ours on a daily amount, no more than 500g concentrate per goat, then hay as required, grazing and a mineral lick. We find if we feed too much they will just poo it out. Hope it helps

HappyHippy

« Reply #2 on: July 31, 2015, 01:23:07 am »
Goats are generally greedy I think, if they think they'll get extra feed from you they'll try all the tricks  ;)
When I was really young (3 or 4) my dad had a billy who got into a few sacks of rabbit feed - he gorged himself to death  :'(
I'd imagine that if they get too fat you'll have problems if you want to breed (it's definitely the case with pigs) so I'd make sure they're wormed and stick to their rations.

Caroline1

• Joined Nov 2014
  • Cambridgeshire
« Reply #3 on: July 31, 2015, 07:48:12 am »
Thanks much appreciated  :thumbsup:
________
Caroline

Melmarsh

• Joined May 2014
« Reply #4 on: July 31, 2015, 08:31:38 pm »
Yes they do get fat but may not look it because the fat accumulates around their internal organs ,doing them no good at all. Unlike sheep who put it on around the outside as well and it can be seen. If they aren't working ie milking/ breeding then they won't need much feed once fully grown  :innocent:

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS