Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Abattoir in SE Wales that knows what they are doing  (Read 2925 times)

farmers wife

• Joined Jul 2009
  • SE Wales
Abattoir in SE Wales that knows what they are doing
« on: July 03, 2015, 11:51:43 pm »
I have 3 lambs in the freezer which are tough. As we have been processing lambs for 10yrs and these were the first inedible ones we have had.  I can only put it down to the abattoir chilling too quick in a hurry which has shortened the fibres.  We have used this place about 3 times now.  We are limited to processing in this area.  Ensors in Cinderford, Glos closed down now we have a couple. If needs be we'll have to travel further a field.  Have used Neil James in Raglan and thats been ok for this albeit the butchery has a lot to be desired but that can be done at home.

My concerns here are that you can raise and feed amazing animals only to be ruined by the abattoir. Ive had a beef carcass ruined by a butcher who didnt hang the beast in a closed fridge. With limited places to go now and if you are going to sell meat it needs to be quality throughout the process. To me the risk of the chain being broken is now worse than ever.

Looking for feedback to processors for lambs in and around SE Wales.

Porterlauren

• Joined Apr 2014
Re: Abattoir in SE Wales that knows what they are doing
« Reply #1 on: July 04, 2015, 08:35:40 am »
N James Raglan. Cant beat them.

Foobar

• Joined Mar 2012
  • South Wales
« Reply #2 on: July 05, 2015, 12:31:14 pm »
Which abattoir did you use with these tough lambs? And where abouts are you roughly?

MarthaR

• Joined Sep 2013
  • Near Abergavenny, South Wales
« Reply #3 on: July 05, 2015, 12:48:01 pm »
I don't take lambs but I have taken lots of pigs to Neil James at Raglan. Always had good, friendly service there and they're flexible about cutting. Sometimes I want whole sides or primals and if I want joints and sausages I give them a detailed list to make sure I get back what I want. And find the pricing very fair too.
Martha R

recoil

• Joined Oct 2011
« Reply #4 on: July 12, 2015, 11:01:19 am »
Dai Havard in Caerphilly is good. Also there's a very good one in Talgarth.

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS