Smallholders Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: will my entire ram lambs cause a neighbour fall out?  (Read 4326 times)

Kimbo

• Joined Feb 2015
  • Anglezarke, Lancashire
will my entire ram lambs cause a neighbour fall out?
« on: July 05, 2015, 07:46:03 pm »
Well, yesterday we started our sheep-keeping careers with the arrival of our lovely Ryeland store lambs. We have 8 entire boys, all aged between 13 and 16 weeks. They appear to be quiet, kindly boys, all content to graze and cud and they stay in  quite a small area of their 2 acre field. But I appreciate that they are  new here and maybe not so confident yet.
My neighbour came to see them today and was alarmed to find that the lambs weren't wethers. He said that our  other neighbour, who breeds prize-winning Texels and is a big-wig in the breed, will be horrified to find entire lambs next to his Texel gimmers.
I don't want to cause a problem for anyone, certainly not my Texel neighbour. Im satisfied that our fences are stock-proof but the boundary between us and the Texel breeder isn't ours. It looks stock-proof but I cant be abs sure as some of the hedge on it is very overgrown.
Can anyone advise me when my boys will start to become interested in ewes? We intend to slaughter the boys in pairs from November 2015 to February 2016.
Is it time to retire yet?

Melmarsh

• Joined May 2014
Re: will my entire ram lambs cause a neighbour fall out?
« Reply #1 on: July 05, 2015, 07:57:03 pm »
Any time soon and his girls soon if they get a whiff of your boys !!!. I would think that the best approach is to talk to your neighbour to find out about what I think you said was his fence as to its stock proofness. You could put an electric fence along that side if your worried and likewise unless your boys get out there shouldn't be a problem , he may want to keep his youngsters away from your boundary if his are likely to want to play away !!!! Good luck  :thinking:

Me

• Joined Feb 2014
  • Wild West
« Reply #2 on: July 05, 2015, 08:05:56 pm »
You need to keep your stock in, rather than your neighbour keeping them out. If the Texels are staying the other side that is a good start though

SallyintNorth

• Joined Feb 2011
  • Cornwall
  • Rarely short of an opinion but I mean well
    • Trelay Cohousing Community
« Reply #3 on: July 05, 2015, 08:17:18 pm »
Your boys will be sexually able pretty soon, and will definitely be interested in the girls next door once they come a-tupping.  I'm not sure when that will be; it depends on region, climate and breed, but your neighbour will be able to tell you.  Certainly by October they should be.

If there is such as thing as tup taint, and your boys are entire and living next door to sexually mature and active females, then you may find the meat is tainted. 

Personally I'd be planning to slaughter the lot by the end of September.  They'll taste better off grass in any case.

And yes, I'd be making sure that fence is sheep-proof, no matter whose responsibility it is.
Don't listen to the money men - they know the price of everything and the value of nothing

Live in a cohousing community with small farm for our own use.  Dairy cows (rearing their own calves for beef), pigs, sheep for meat and fleece, ducks and hens for eggs, veg and fruit growing

Kimbo

• Joined Feb 2015
  • Anglezarke, Lancashire
« Reply #4 on: July 07, 2015, 07:15:40 am »
thanks.
Extra stock fencing ordered; I will put another stock fence on my side of the hedge
Is it time to retire yet?

Marches Farmer

• Joined Dec 2012
  • Herefordshire
« Reply #5 on: July 08, 2015, 01:32:23 pm »
They will be ready for slaughter by September.  I would certainly try to get them away by then as otherwise they will fight and tend to patrol up and down the fenceline most of the day and the weight will drop off them.  Remember Ryelands have thick fleece, even the youngsters, and electric fence may not deter them, although short legs generally helps keep them the right side of a sound wire stock fence.

chrismahon

• Joined Dec 2011
  • Gascony, France
« Reply #6 on: July 08, 2015, 01:45:08 pm »
There is such a thing as 'tup taint'- the meat tastes bitter. We had a fairly young Texel (about 9 months) which was only edible in strong curry and even then the taste was noticeable.

bazzais

• Joined Jan 2010
    • Allt Y Coed Farm and Campsite
« Reply #7 on: July 09, 2015, 11:55:51 pm »
If they are walking the fence and getting frustrated - they wont come on as good either, they'll be burning it off.

bazzais

• Joined Jan 2010
    • Allt Y Coed Farm and Campsite
« Reply #8 on: July 10, 2015, 12:01:52 am »
You may find they are just dull and dont take a bit of notice. 

To be safe stick a fence in with double barb. 

Either - Closer the better to next doors fence - so stuff cant get caught between.

Or double fence it at a distance (you lose a bit of hedgeland) but then you can plant hedgerow in it.

We have had escapees and intruders when it comes to sheep - most have worked out ok - but the last this you want in your breeding plan is someone elses random ram.

Marches Farmer

• Joined Dec 2012
  • Herefordshire
« Reply #9 on: July 10, 2015, 11:07:38 am »
You may find they are just dull and dont take a bit of notice. 

In the past I've run rams next to the ewes for a few days, to get them cycling if I've been planning early lambing the following year.  By the time they were let in there was a ditch 18cm deep along the fenceline.

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS