Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Turkeys  (Read 2559 times)

Bramham Wiltshire Horns

• Joined Oct 2014
  • leeds
  • Bramham flock Wiltshire Horns
Turkeys
« on: July 06, 2015, 07:12:40 pm »
I'm seriously thinking of a few Turkey to fatten for Christmas
My question is
What's the best feed for them?
How much room do they need as a minimum?
And also anyone who sells any at Christmas how much do you sell per kilo? Also what's the average size they grow to
Many thanks!
follow on FB@BramhamWiltshireHorns

CrispinCottage

• Joined Jul 2015
Re: Turkeys
« Reply #1 on: July 07, 2015, 10:53:16 pm »
I'm seriously thinking of a few Turkey to fatten for Christmas
My question is
What's the best feed for them?
How much room do they need as a minimum?
And also anyone who sells any at Christmas how much do you sell per kilo? Also what's the average size they grow to
Many thanks!

Hi PrincessRubyUK,

I'm in the exact predicament as you! This is something I'm really keen on but trying to find first hand and experienced rearers is tough! I can't even seem to find a breeder!
I'll be keeping an eye on this chat to see if anyone is able to assist!

Bramham Wiltshire Horns

• Joined Oct 2014
  • leeds
« Reply #2 on: July 08, 2015, 11:59:10 am »
i can get the turkeys just need to make sure im doing the right things i.e feeding and housing etc

Marches Farmer

• Joined Dec 2012
  • Herefordshire
« Reply #3 on: July 08, 2015, 01:16:47 pm »
I breed Narragansett turkeys for conservation purposes so can't help with some of your questions but you can buy turkey poult crumbs and grower pellets from agricultural merchants.  Our breed matures at  around 11kg for hens and 15kg for stags, but they're 9 months old by then.  Too big for a conventional oven but on the upside they're docile, hardy, long-lived and can mate naturally, unlike commercial strains.

baffledog1

• Joined Jan 2015
« Reply #4 on: July 08, 2015, 01:34:27 pm »
I tried for the first time last year 6 "Plumpi-Bronze" Hen turkeys. Sourced them from a local supplier at 6 weeks old mid Aug last year. Was told that they were on Growers Pellets.( Different food for different ages. I believe it is Starter Crumbs, Rearer Pellets, Grower Pellets and finally Finisher Pellets age for feeding on bag)  so got them a bag of that and then moved when that had finished that onto Turkey Finisher Pellets. killed them Christmas week and all 6 weighed out at between 15-18lbs.

Kept them in a standard size stable with shavings. Found them easy to look after just a case of topping up water and food daily. Also put some perches in for them. Could have kept double the number in there comfortably

One thing to look out for is I needed a bag near to Christmas and all local suppliers had run out as it is a seasonal thing. They had to finish the last week on corn and layers pellets. Not ideal but no obvious effects.

Hope this helps

Bramham Wiltshire Horns

• Joined Oct 2014
  • leeds
« Reply #5 on: July 08, 2015, 08:14:03 pm »
Thanks
Did you allow yours to free range or just in stable

baffledog1

• Joined Jan 2015
« Reply #6 on: July 08, 2015, 08:57:17 pm »
After first week let them out to free range during day in a small paddock with no other poultry. I found with my 6 that when the days got colder/wetter they didn't bother/want to go out even if door was open. From about mid-Nov I kept them in. Maybe because they had so much room and didn't feel they had to escape from the crush.

Anyway some very positive feedback from the people who had them. Plan to up it to a dozen this year. Must say that having worked in my student days on Turkey farms, these 6 were the easiest to dry pluck I have ever known.

Bramham Wiltshire Horns

• Joined Oct 2014
  • leeds
« Reply #7 on: July 08, 2015, 09:54:39 pm »
If you sold any how much did you get per lb
Also did you slaughter yourself
Thanks

farmers wife

• Joined Jul 2009
  • SE Wales
« Reply #8 on: July 08, 2015, 09:57:35 pm »
we used to buy poults via a local agent from Kelly bronze.  Its the best way to buy the right breed for the finished weights.  Its getting late now and we used to get ours in July.  No different to any poultry really, crumbs then grower then fatter. Its very expensive they eat and eat.

Problems are - weather - could make them very big or the opposite.  Most people want 12 - 14lb but if they ask for this and yours are 18lb then you have the problem of messing with the numbers and not everyone wants a huge turkey nor will they pay the odds.

Any illnesses which is obviously the same as poultry.  Mysoplasma from wild birds. the fox loves a turkey, fresh pasture as much as possible, straw prices.

They must be hung too.  No taste in a straight kill.  Finding someone to do the kill and plucking is a complete nightmare then you need a good walk in fridge.

Price - to cover the poult price, feeding, and kill youll be lucky to break even.  If you could in the initial buying of feeders, lighting, heras fencing, electric fencing, labour and electric - you'll be at a loss.

£8.00pkg is the bare minimum.  Its very very important to finish them properly they must have the right fat, a massive layer of fat is exactly what stops the bird from getting dry and cooks fast (I do  mine in 2.5hrs on 18lb er)

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS