Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Slaughter straight from Weanin  (Read 1689 times)

ScotsGirl

• Joined Dec 2009
  • Wiltshire
Slaughter straight from Weanin
« on: June 27, 2015, 02:06:12 pm »
i have a black Welsh mountain ewe that is going for mutton. She only has a single lamb so far from skinny! My question is can I send her straight off with her udder still full or should I dry her off first? I don't want her to put on fat, she is about 3 and I want to send her with a ram shearling in August.

Second question follows a conversation with a friend today. He is selling some stores at market straight from mum as he found weight dropped off last year if he weaned first. Would this be the best solution for me taking some to slaughter? Only issue I can see is I want them off ewes earlier than Sept but don't want to lose condition on the lambs which are nearly ready to go.

mowhaugh

• Joined Jul 2013
  • Scottish Borders
    • Facebook
Re: Slaughter straight from Weanin
« Reply #1 on: June 27, 2015, 02:30:52 pm »
All of ur fat lambs, and some of our stores are sold straight off their mums, works well for us.

Marches Farmer

• Joined Dec 2012
  • Herefordshire
« Reply #2 on: June 27, 2015, 07:54:50 pm »
I prefer to move the ewes away from the lambs and give both a few days grace before moving them off the farm - the ewes to dry up and the lambs to get used to life without Mama.  I think one huge upheaval at a time is quite stressful enough.

ScotsGirl

• Joined Dec 2009
  • Wiltshire
« Reply #3 on: June 28, 2015, 11:07:20 am »
Ok, what about the mutton ewe? Can she go straight to slaughter at weaning?

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS