NFU Mutual Smallholding Insurance

Author Topic: Today I have been mainly,  (Read 135462 times)

Womble

• Joined Mar 2009
  • Stirlingshire, Central Scotland
Re: Today I have been mainly,
« Reply #1110 on: May 08, 2018, 12:45:20 am »
Gathered, vaccinated, wormed and re-marked all the lambs. Also checked the ewes' teeth, feet and tits...... all on my own, with no stress to myself or the animals, and in about an hour.

When we first started, that took three of us at least twice as long to do, and for fewer animals.  What's more, I am pleased to report that I managed not to protect myself against pasturella, pulpy kidney etc this year..... That also makes a change compared with the first couple of times I did vaccinations!  ;D

Oh, and I fed this wee chap about twelvety times!

I'm only really posting this to say yes, it does get easier with practice. Actually, It's only when I look back now, that I realise just how far we've come. So, if that's you too, take a moment to be proud of what you've achieved and give yourself a pat on the back. However, if you're just starting out and struggling, take heart - give it a few years, and everything will become so much easier after you've done it all a few times.

We also had a visit from some church friends, who it turns out have always dreamed of doing what we do now. That would make them the fourth such couple we've met in three weeks. So, no matter how hard the hard bits get, there are loads of folks out there who would love to be living this way too, and it turns out even look on jealously (yeah, I know!!  :roflanim: ).

« Last Edit: May 08, 2018, 09:36:19 am by Womble »
Experience is what you get just after you needed it.
Voss Electric Fence

PK

• Joined Mar 2015
  • West Suffolk
    • Notes from a Suffolk Smallholding
« Reply #1111 on: May 08, 2018, 08:46:13 am »
Yesterday morning I did exactly the same thing, also on my own!

Mad Goatwoman of Madeley

• Joined Sep 2011
  • Telford
« Reply #1112 on: May 08, 2018, 11:12:00 pm »
Visiting the local garden centre to spend yet more money. This year I am investing in more ornamental plants for my garden since I had had to cut down on what I do. I still have plenty of space to grow vegetables and have put in yet another fruit tree in my front garden. A nectarine this time. It's only been there for a few weeks and is covered in tiny fruit. I didn't even notice any blossom.

Rupert the bear

• Joined Jun 2015
« Reply #1113 on: May 09, 2018, 06:24:27 pm »
cutting up mealworms, for the swallows , who like the cat's/Dogs/Goats/Chickens have me well trained.
« Last Edit: May 09, 2018, 09:48:43 pm by Rupert the bear »

Rupert the bear

• Joined Jun 2015
« Reply #1114 on: May 16, 2018, 08:49:47 pm »
My New wildlife/trail cam arrived this evening, I have been reading the Chinglish instructions to set it up, we shall see

Mad Goatwoman of Madeley

• Joined Sep 2011
  • Telford
« Reply #1115 on: May 18, 2018, 10:20:35 pm »
Busy in the garden, sowing veggie seeds: beetroot, chard, cavelo nero kale, salad leaves, cos lettuce, radishes, rocket and wild flowers. Also got one small bed covered in weed suppressant membrane round the jostaberry. There's a bird feeder in the same bed and the birds love both so lots of seeds dropped. I spent this evening with a heated pad on my back and wishing I had the sense to know my limits.

Scarlet.Dragon

• Joined May 2015
  • Aberdeenshire
« Reply #1116 on: May 25, 2018, 03:13:40 pm »
Well, last night I suddenly realised that having been working on GDPR for the last 18 months and helping several organisations get compliant, I hadn't actually done the paperwork for my own small hobby business!  Fortunately, given that I know what personal data I hold, where and for whom, and having nothing outsourced, it was a quick fix to put in place my Privacy Notice, Privacy Policy and Data Risk Impact Analysis. 

Unlike the many organisations that are getting GDPR wrong, I'm not sending emails to everyone asking them to "opt in"; I'm using a combination of contract and legitimate interest for my compliance; I will send a copy of my Privacy Notice to all customers the next time they contact me and I'm ready to respond to any Subject Access Requests that come my way!

#HappinessIs...GDPRCompliance! 

If you haven't thought about your own GDPR compliance yet... now is the time to start; just because you're a small business does not mean you are exempt; and whilst you may be at the lower end of the scale if and when fines are issued, a failure to have taken "fit for purpose" and "proportionate" actions puts you in the 20M Euros rather than the 10M Euros maximum fine bracket.
Excellence is the result of caring more than others think is wise, risking more than others think is safe, dreaming more than others think is practical and expecting more than others think is possible.

Buttermilk

• Joined Jul 2014
« Reply #1117 on: May 25, 2018, 04:52:25 pm »
SD a GDPR question. 

I am secretary to a small group of widespread people.  Up to now every year we have issued each member with a list of other members and their contact details.  Do I take it that this is no longer allowed?  We have not done such a list this year but have had one request by a member for another members details to organise transport to a show.

I am not sure how much I am allowed to give out.

Scarlet.Dragon

• Joined May 2015
  • Aberdeenshire
« Reply #1118 on: May 25, 2018, 08:47:31 pm »
SD a GDPR question. 

I am secretary to a small group of widespread people.  Up to now every year we have issued each member with a list of other members and their contact details.  Do I take it that this is no longer allowed?  We have not done such a list this year but have had one request by a member for another members details to organise transport to a show.

I am not sure how much I am allowed to give out.

It's not a straightforward yes/no so I'll PM you for more information to get you on track. 
Excellence is the result of caring more than others think is wise, risking more than others think is safe, dreaming more than others think is practical and expecting more than others think is possible.

Rupert the bear

• Joined Jun 2015
« Reply #1119 on: May 25, 2018, 09:14:30 pm »
Looking at the photo's and video from my new trailcam .
I'm impressed good night time images and video, and daytime is very very good. What I've learnt is the most important thing is positioning and video length, and putting in the largest memory card it will take (oh and er, ::)
even if its a nice warm sunlit morning at 5am one must remember to wear clothes when letting the chickens out !  and the answer to the questions your mentally thinking is NO  and about £50 off ebay )

Rupert the bear

• Joined Jun 2015
« Reply #1120 on: May 26, 2018, 03:09:38 pm »
In the wonderfully warm sunshine I've been topping the unused fields with the tractor and cutting grass around the woodland with my "get dragged along " pedestrian cutter, the swallows flying about after the insects and behind me a rabble of feathered stragglers scratching at the newly exposed land.
I've now come in doors a my right knee has decided to bend in both directions  again and requires the brace that the dog is so fond of , so a tug of war with much growing and snarling on both sides between a possessive rottweiler and a portly man with only one supporting leg to stand on. :)

Buttermilk

• Joined Jul 2014
« Reply #1121 on: May 26, 2018, 09:19:44 pm »
Fencing.  I now have a track aroung the outside of one of the hayfields for the equines to enjoy, all done with electric.  Another permanent fence is tacked in place - the gateposts, strainers and fenceposts are all in place with the sheep netting only having the top wire stapled so far.  Tomorrow all the rest of the staples get hammered in, gates will be hung and top rails added to the fence.  This is the last cross fence to do on the property.  There is only boundary fences to redo now but nearly ? of mile to be done, hopefully this year.

waterbuffalofarmer

• Joined Apr 2014
  • Mid Wales
  • Owner of 61 Mediterranean water buffaloes
« Reply #1122 on: May 26, 2018, 10:57:48 pm »
coming back on train from family up north, been on holiday for 5 days haha. Feels longer   :roflanim: :roflanim: :roflanim:
the most beautiful people we have known are those who have known defeat, known suffering, known struggle, known loss and have found their way out of the depths. These persons have an appreciation, a sensitivity and an understanding of life that fills them with compassion, gentleness, loving concern.

Womble

• Joined Mar 2009
  • Stirlingshire, Central Scotland
« Reply #1123 on: May 27, 2018, 12:33:42 am »
Dagging.  That is all  ;D .

@Rupert the bear , one top tip for trail cam photos at night - if you find that the photos look over-exposed, particularly at short range, try a piece of fabric over the IR LEDs (i have a ring of vetrap which works perfectly). It just helps to reduce the intensity of the flash a little  :thumbsup: .
Experience is what you get just after you needed it.

Rupert the bear

• Joined Jun 2015
« Reply #1124 on: May 27, 2018, 02:14:26 am »
Dagging.  That is all  ;D .

@Rupert the bear , one top tip for trail cam photos at night - if you find that the photos look over-exposed, particularly at short range, try a piece of fabric over the IR LEDs (i have a ring of vetrap which works perfectly). It just helps to reduce the intensity of the flash a little  :thumbsup: .
I'm finding that the mist leaves condensation on the lens, I am told that Rain x will solve that , to be tried.

Is there something about today?

Started by Lizmar

Replies: 7
Views: 1978
Last post August 12, 2009, 08:35:04 pm
by northfifeduckling
Who can top this today?

Started by cameldairy

Replies: 16
Views: 4150
Last post October 05, 2009, 03:24:18 pm
by sandy
What did you do today?

Started by valr

Replies: 37
Views: 7595
Last post July 18, 2010, 08:31:42 am
by Wizard
So what did you do today?

Started by bloomer

Replies: 24
Views: 5478
Last post September 05, 2010, 11:51:43 am
by ballingall
what did you do today?

Started by northfifeduckling

Replies: 52
Views: 11514
Last post October 24, 2010, 09:43:04 am
by ballingall

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Assist Animal Care Services Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Little Peckers

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2018. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS