Smallholders Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Today I have been mainly,  (Read 331704 times)

waterbuffalofarmer

• Joined Apr 2014
  • Mid Wales
  • Owner of 61 Mediterranean water buffaloes
Re: Today I have been mainly,
« Reply #1065 on: March 04, 2018, 11:00:15 am »
advertising animals for sale, checking water troughs and removing ice, feeding cleaning and bedding down animals :)
the most beautiful people we have known are those who have known defeat, known suffering, known struggle, known loss and have found their way out of the depths. These persons have an appreciation, a sensitivity and an understanding of life that fills them with compassion, gentleness, loving concern.

Rupert the bear

• Joined Jun 2015
« Reply #1066 on: March 05, 2018, 07:20:09 pm »
Spent the morning with the Orthopedic Consultant  :(   spent the afternoon looking at walking aids , as no surgery for Me then.

I think I've found My sell by date.......   on the upside , err.

alang

• Joined Nov 2017
  • Morayshire
« Reply #1067 on: March 11, 2018, 07:15:06 pm »
Today i have been mainly clearing the ground for the timber workshop and meat rabbit hutches to go on. Back breaking but good to finally get started
I'm not scared to be seen, I make no apologies. This is me!

Buttermilk

• Joined Jul 2014
« Reply #1068 on: March 11, 2018, 08:03:19 pm »
Shovelling poo.  Twelve trailer loads of the stuff.  I am now cream crackered.

devonlady

• Joined Aug 2014
« Reply #1069 on: March 13, 2018, 02:39:33 pm »
Learning that I am to be a Great Granny in September :excited:

alang

• Joined Nov 2017
  • Morayshire
« Reply #1070 on: March 13, 2018, 02:46:51 pm »
Learning that I am to be a Great Granny in September :excited:

Congrats  :excited:
I'm not scared to be seen, I make no apologies. This is me!

Rupert the bear

• Joined Jun 2015
« Reply #1071 on: March 16, 2018, 06:23:25 pm »
considering going back to work ( the mind is willing.... fill in the rest yourself )

Lesley Silvester

• Joined Sep 2011
  • Telford
« Reply #1072 on: March 16, 2018, 10:59:08 pm »
Good luck, Rupert.

I took my husband for a day out on the Severn Valley Steam Railway for their spring gala, and wish I hadn't. Although the main carpark was full I went up the drive because I wanted a disabled place but there weren't any and nowhere to turn so I reversed quite a long way with people walking round me all the time and another car edging closer and closer because he wanted to get past. My parking sensors were going berserk which is why I didn't realise there was a low wall behind me until I hit it. Just as well I was going so slowly.

We ended up driving round trying to find somewhere to park, which ended up quite a way from the station and had to walk back (wheel in my case). We just managed to miss our train so had to wait for the next one. The ramp on was so steep my chair wouldn't go up it so I had to walk while the chair was man-handled (it's a power chair so very heavy). Good journey there with some nice people in the guard's break with us who went to the buffet to get us drinks. Again I had to get down the ramp on foot because of the steepness. When we got to Kidderminster we got off to have a wander round the station and get a coffee only to discover it was two hours before our return train so we got back much later than we expected. Long walk back to the car park which seemed to have moved so we did a round tour of Bridgnorth before meeting someone who could direct us. Went to use the disabled toilets only to have someone open the door while we were in there - the lock didn't work. This happened twice. Finally back in the car and drove home via the local chippy.

On the plus side, the dog had a whale of a time because he had lots of fuss made of him and was told he was handsome, gorgeous, clever - all sorts of compliments. He doesn't usually get that because he's usually working as a guide dog.

Relaxing now. Next time we go on the steam trains it will not be on gala day!!
« Last Edit: March 16, 2018, 11:31:46 pm by Mad Goatwoman of Madeley »

Perris

• Joined Mar 2017
  • Gower
« Reply #1073 on: March 17, 2018, 07:14:47 am »
poor you! sounds like a very trying day  :hug:

valmet10

• Joined Mar 2016
« Reply #1074 on: March 17, 2018, 07:29:45 pm »
Wondering why the hell I keep sheep

philcaegrug

• Joined Jul 2012
  • ammanford
« Reply #1075 on: March 18, 2018, 09:30:58 pm »
Putting a new steel sheet roof on a field shelter to replace the onduline sheeting and now thawing out watching Escape To The Chateau.

Lesley Silvester

• Joined Sep 2011
  • Telford
« Reply #1076 on: March 18, 2018, 10:28:15 pm »
Glaring at the snow.

Rupert the bear

• Joined Jun 2015
« Reply #1077 on: March 19, 2018, 08:53:50 pm »
went back to work, it was , er , an interesting day, might go back again tomorrow, just to see what happens next

Womble

• Joined Mar 2009
  • Stirlingshire, Central Scotland
« Reply #1078 on: March 26, 2018, 01:34:16 pm »
Shooting a prolapsed ewe at 5am (one of my favourites too, of course).

It's a long story, and one I might tell eventually.  In the meantime, could somebody please remind me why I do this?  I think PTSD (Post Traumatic Smallholder Disorder) might be a thing after all  :( .
"All fungi are edible. Some fungi are only edible once." -Terry Pratchett

waterbuffalofarmer

• Joined Apr 2014
  • Mid Wales
  • Owner of 61 Mediterranean water buffaloes
« Reply #1079 on: March 27, 2018, 08:39:08 pm »
Shooting a prolapsed ewe at 5am (one of my favourites too, of course).

It's a long story, and one I might tell eventually.  In the meantime, could somebody please remind me why I do this?  I think PTSD (Post Traumatic Smallholder Disorder) might be a thing after all  :( .

Awww [member=2128]Womble[/member] I am really sorry to hear of this :hug:  The reason why you do what you do is because its a good thing, you're an excellent stocksperson with the passion and drive for the job. You do it because it is rewarding somewhat, but also because you enjoy doing it :thumbsup: Thats a very good thing :) There are hard times in farming livestock, sometimes it feels like you are all alone and that the whole world is collapsing around your ears, but the truth is many of us have been there and we know how it feels to have to say goodbye to one of our favourite animals after tradgedy. You did your very best for her I am sure and you shouldn't beat yourself up about that. In the end you did the right thing, which was best for her. It shows how much of a good person you are. If you need to talk to anyone am here. Tc now x
the most beautiful people we have known are those who have known defeat, known suffering, known struggle, known loss and have found their way out of the depths. These persons have an appreciation, a sensitivity and an understanding of life that fills them with compassion, gentleness, loving concern.

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS