Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Ear tags  (Read 3201 times)

Chris H

• Joined Oct 2011
Ear tags
« on: June 16, 2015, 01:34:58 pm »
Help I have a pet alpine who has managed to tear both his ear tags, the vet says to just cut them off with a knife (the tags not the ears) and scrub the wounds with a medicated scrub. Not sure about this? he also has an eye infection, yes he has been in the wars this week. He has eye drops and I will bathe with a saline, but clearly he is not a happy soul. What is the best way to remove the tags? and would the violet spray be better once the holes are clean?
We are all in the gutter, but some of us are looking at the stars.

Talana

• Joined Mar 2014
Re: Ear tags
« Reply #1 on: June 16, 2015, 01:58:42 pm »
foot shears are good at snipping them out or sharp scissors. I would use violet spray, if they are gunky and pus bathe them, good luck with ears so sore it can be difficult to get near them to help.

Chris H

• Joined Oct 2011
« Reply #2 on: June 16, 2015, 02:15:32 pm »
Thanks, he is already not impressed with the eye drops. Getting near enough to hold him and do the ear tags is not going to be fun!

Anke

• Joined Dec 2009
  • St Boswells, Scottish Borders
« Reply #3 on: June 16, 2015, 03:24:36 pm »
You will need a second person (one to hold the head, the other to snip), and yes I use footclippers too for cutting the tags out. Once there is infection underneath it is almost impossible to get it to heal with the tag in-situ. If you have the blue antibiotic (terramycin) spray I would use that. although I normally have just used the antiseptic (as the blue spray lives in the sheep bucket that's miles away from the goathouse).

Unless you are inspected I would leave the new tags in a safe place to be put in ears if/when needed... obviously not official advice. Pastern tags should be available again in the near future - so much less hassle.

I feel for you with eye drops to administer as well....

Chris H

• Joined Oct 2011
« Reply #4 on: June 16, 2015, 04:12:29 pm »
Thanks Anke.

scruffbag

• Joined Nov 2012
« Reply #5 on: June 19, 2015, 06:59:25 am »
If you need goat proof tags the richie rd2000 tags are back having resolved issues with EID they are great! in the past i have lost tags within minutes of fitting, i tag all the kids at 3 days old along with lambs, not had a single tag loss with rd2000!

Tree Farmer

• Joined Mar 2012
  • Herefordshire
« Reply #6 on: June 19, 2015, 03:14:07 pm »
One of my ANs lost both her tags in the winter (funnily they both came out within a couple of weeks of each other - after two years of being fine) - and I haven't replaced them in the ears. The suggestion at my local goat club was not to worry if I'm not going to be moving them - just to keep the tags ready in case. (I know this is not the proper advice but it seems pragmatic)

fiestyredhead331

• Joined Sep 2012
  • NW Highlands
    • Facebook
« Reply #7 on: June 19, 2015, 04:46:50 pm »
I'm thinking about getting dog collar tags for the girls collars with their names and ID numbers on them, had too many probs with ear tags so only tag if they are going somewhere, which mine aren't I don't think?
keeper of goats, sheep, pigs, ducks, chickens, turkeys, dogs, cats, goldfish and children, just don't ask me which is the most work!

Anke

• Joined Dec 2009
  • St Boswells, Scottish Borders
« Reply #8 on: June 19, 2015, 05:11:27 pm »
Sometimes the pragmatic is the only, if not entirely legal, answer.... :innocent:, as long as you have replacements ready to apply quickly if needed....

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS