Smallholders Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Lamb with no anus  (Read 4968 times)

Jacub95

• Joined Jun 2015
Lamb with no anus
« on: June 16, 2015, 06:25:58 pm »
Hi, I am new to this forum and looking for advice for what can be done with a lamb with no anus?
It's a 12 week old ewe lamb and I've only just discovered the problem today. Just wondering what is best for the lamb?
Thanks

Tim W

• Joined Aug 2013
Re: Lamb with no anus
« Reply #1 on: June 16, 2015, 09:20:01 pm »
12 weeks old? No anus?

What's she doing with all that $h1t

Jacub95

• Joined Jun 2015
« Reply #2 on: June 16, 2015, 09:39:09 pm »
It comes out of the other hole  :roflanim:

Tim W

• Joined Aug 2013
« Reply #3 on: June 16, 2015, 09:57:38 pm »
So she has an anus but just a bit misplaced? If she is passing faeces then you do not have an immediate problem

Just make sure you butcher her as soon as she gets to a decent weight

fsmnutter

• Joined Oct 2012
  • Fettercairn, Aberdeenshire
« Reply #4 on: June 16, 2015, 10:03:18 pm »
If she survived to this age, she must have a fistula from her rectum to vagina.
I would not breed from her, but it she has made it to this age without infection or excessive urine dribbling or scour, she should make it to slaughter weight

Jacub95

• Joined Jun 2015
« Reply #5 on: June 16, 2015, 10:26:43 pm »
Other than that she is perfectly fine and growing well, thank you for the replies

Melmarsh

• Joined May 2014
« Reply #6 on: June 16, 2015, 11:05:57 pm »
Hi ! I had one exactly the same, brought to my attention by the ewe at a day old . The ewe seemed to be ignoring her and I couldn't work out why !!! It was only when I was holding the lamb and it happened to poo on me that I could see it was coming from her vagina. Get said rear it for meat and I would have no problems. Lamb was OK but ewe still didn't want her so she was bottle reared.  :innocent:

SallyintNorth

• Joined Feb 2011
  • Cornwall
  • Rarely short of an opinion but I mean well
    • Trelay Cohousing Community
« Reply #7 on: June 17, 2015, 10:48:56 am »
If she survived to this age, she must have a fistula from her rectum to vagina.
I would not breed from her, but it she has made it to this age without infection or excessive urine dribbling or scour, she should make it to slaughter weight

This.

The other thing is to be aware that you have the genetics in your flock for blind anus, and check every lamb at birth ;).  They don't all have the fistula, and prompt action is required for those that don't.  Sometimes you can make a hole that will work, generally though we have found that they need to be pts.

And if you can, keep track of the ewes/tups that are producing these lambs, and either cull them, or at least don't keep any of their progeny on for breeders.
Don't listen to the money men - they know the price of everything and the value of nothing

Live in a cohousing community with small farm for our own use.  Dairy cows (rearing their own calves for beef), pigs, sheep for meat and fleece, ducks and hens for eggs, veg and fruit growing

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS