Smallholders Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Where can I get my wool processed?  (Read 2099 times)

Holleth

• Joined Mar 2015
Where can I get my wool processed?
« on: June 17, 2015, 09:23:55 pm »
Hi folks,

We sheared our sheep last week and as a bit of a project I'd like to follow the process of the wool, off my 3 zwartble ewes, and turn it into something.

Local people have said that it isn't worth doing it as its black but they are seeing it from a commercial point of view.

Is there anywhere I can send the fleeces to get them processed?

We are in Lancaster and I don't mind travelling (not too far) to see it being done.

Any help greatfully appreciated

SallyintNorth

• Joined Feb 2011
  • Cornwall
  • Rarely short of an opinion but I mean well
    • Trelay Cohousing Community
Re: Where can I get my wool processed?
« Reply #1 on: June 17, 2015, 10:44:34 pm »
Griffiths Mill - I've been here and seen the operation.  Karen is a spinner herself, and takes great care (and pride) in setting up the equipment just so for the fleece she is processing at the time.  If you have more fleece than you need batts, rovings or yarn for yourself, she may be prepared to market some of it through their shop - it's worth discussing with her. 

The Natural Fibre Company.  Have a minimum quantity of 20kgs incoming per breed/type, but do have a 'matchmaking' service where they can put two similar batches together.  Output quality seems to be very good indeed, from all those I have seen and heard of.

Halifax Spinning Mill.  Many happy customers, but I do hear the occasional grumble.
Don't listen to the money men - they know the price of everything and the value of nothing

Live in a cohousing community with small farm for our own use.  Dairy cows (rearing their own calves for beef), pigs, sheep for meat and fleece, ducks and hens for eggs, veg and fruit growing

Bionic

• Joined Dec 2010
  • Talley, Carmarthenshire
« Reply #2 on: June 18, 2015, 10:27:51 am »
Hi folks,

We sheared our sheep last week and as a bit of a project I'd like to follow the process of the wool, off my 3 zwartble ewes, and turn it into something.

Local people have said that it isn't worth doing it as its black but they are seeing it from a commercial point of view.

Is there anywhere I can send the fleeces to get them processed?

We are in Lancaster and I don't mind travelling (not too far) to see it being done.

Any help greatfully appreciated
Holleth you could always try spinning it yourself  :spin:  Lots of TAS'ers do and its great fun
Life is like a bowl of cherries, mostly yummy but some dodgy bits

princesslayer

• Joined Jan 2013
  • Tadley, Hants
« Reply #3 on: June 18, 2015, 10:42:46 am »
We have a drum carder and card our wool into thick rovings that we then make a mat out of. Done on a homemade peg loom, very easy and rewarding, the kids even do it. :thumbsup:
Keeper of Jacob sheep, several hens, Michael the Cockerel and some small children.

ewesaidit

• Joined Aug 2011
« Reply #4 on: June 18, 2015, 07:38:35 pm »
Not that I can add any detail, but I have heard it's good for felting, and you can make purses/bags etc

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS