Smallholders Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Feeding geese  (Read 2890 times)

mentalmilly

• Joined Nov 2012
Feeding geese
« on: May 29, 2015, 09:06:17 am »
Well my 2 goslings have grown to 9 weeks and l have not kept such entertaining, friendly and nice natured creatures.  I know they may turn into evil little wotsits when much older but for now they are gorgeous.  At the moment they are on growers pellets but are stealing the layers pellets as well from the ducks as they all free range together. They eat mostly grass as well.  Question.  Is this ok at 9 weeks and at what age can they have layers pellets as normal? Not grown geese before so clueless about this.

Possum

• Joined Feb 2012
  • Somerset
Re: Feeding geese
« Reply #1 on: May 30, 2015, 07:25:47 pm »
Mine started stealing the layers pellets at 4 weeks and no harm came to them. Happened to mention it to the vet one day and she didn't think it was a problem. They are such gorgeous things at that age aren't they? :)

HesterF

• Joined Jul 2012
  • Kent
  • HesterF
« Reply #2 on: May 31, 2015, 11:54:56 pm »
My geese never have layers (except the occasional day when I've run out of waterfowl pellets). They're on growers outside of the breeding season and breeders during the breeding season. I'm sure they won't eat many of the pellets if they've got lots of grass anyway so I wouldn't worry. The danger with any young birds is the effect of too much calcium on young kidneys.

H

hughesy

• Joined Feb 2010
  • Anglesey
« Reply #3 on: June 01, 2015, 07:33:08 am »
We don't feed our geese except for a handful of mixed corn in the evening to encourage them into their pen. They have access to more grass than they could possibly eat though.

billy_wiz

• Joined Dec 2014
  • Anglesey
« Reply #4 on: June 01, 2015, 12:33:20 pm »
Our geese are most entertaining, want let you work outside without saying hello.............feed most grass with corn in the evening.

They like a routine, and are not happy when when things go wrong......good luck with them

mentalmilly

• Joined Nov 2012
« Reply #5 on: June 01, 2015, 12:49:00 pm »
Well my geese are running with the ducks and they all get on well and they are stealing the ducks layers pellets so cant stop them.  They eat mostly grass so l am not too worried. They don't seem to like mixed corn. They are gorgeous and we go on a dandelion hunt most evenings. thanks for the info.

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS