Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Flystrike  (Read 5452 times)

Hellybee

• Joined Feb 2010
    • www.blaengwawrponies.co.uk
Re: Flystrike
« Reply #15 on: May 27, 2015, 07:11:12 pm »
Definitely keep an eye on shoulder.  W eve just pulled ewe lambs in, found one bum strike.

Kimbo

• Joined Feb 2015
  • Anglezarke, Lancashire
« Reply #16 on: May 28, 2015, 07:10:04 pm »
Rank Novice Alert:

gosh, it happens REALLY quickly then?
Is there any sense in Clicking before any evidence of flies? Just to be on the safe side? We are taking delivery of our first Ryelands in 4 weeks and Im having a crisis of confidence  :-\
Is it time to retire yet?

Hellybee

• Joined Feb 2010
« Reply #17 on: May 28, 2015, 07:18:41 pm »
In a word yes.   They are mighty quick workers. Prevention better than cure.  When you get you lambs spray them to be on the safe side.  Mind you I do really get stuck in if we find them, little bar stewards.  Clizened all lamb bums today, decided against clik until shearing for them as we have some routine stuff to do first and clickzen will be safer for us to work around next week. 

One lamb found with it.  Crovected and he's right as rain x

Hellybee

• Joined Feb 2010
« Reply #18 on: May 28, 2015, 07:19:59 pm »
Quick fag , yes I washed my hands, and off they go up the windy headland.

Fleecewife

• Joined May 2010
  • South Lanarkshire
    • ScotHebs
« Reply #19 on: May 28, 2015, 07:22:25 pm »
Absolutely!  We spray our lambs with Crovect (don't like Clik) in May, at the beginning of the fly season in our part of the country. We would be very upset if they were already struck at that time.   We watch the adults carefully just in case (in which case we would treat straight away) then spray them at shearing in June or July.  By hand shearing there's enough wool to hold the product, whereas with machine shearing you need to wait a couple of weeks.  Sheep are unlikely to be struck when freshly shorn, as there's nowhere for the maggots to hide, or the muck to cling.
With Crovect, spraying is repeated every 6 weeks through the fly season, but we find it's best to do the repeat dose a couple of days before the six weeks is up.
Just because the sheep and lambs have been sprayed, it doesn't mean you don't watch them carefully.

Cross posted with Hellybee
"Let's not talk about what we can do, but do what we can"

There is NO planet B - what are YOU doing to save our home?

Do something today that your future self will thank you for - plant a tree

Love your soil - it's the lifeblood of your land.

Kimbo

• Joined Feb 2015
  • Anglezarke, Lancashire
« Reply #20 on: May 28, 2015, 07:57:30 pm »
so helpful: thank you very much X
Is it time to retire yet?

Hellybee

• Joined Feb 2010
« Reply #21 on: May 28, 2015, 10:24:31 pm »
I ll be spraying bums in my sleep tonight nigh on 150 big n little ones lol. The only ones not done are the molliess/Cade lambs.  Am knackered now so bar the bottles for the twins, I'm done, currently melding into the headboard with recorded bgt...knackered but very relieved. :excited:   Oh yeah plus 50 ewe lambs sprayed.

kimbo, they're vile, a beautiful green colour, same size as big bluebottle.  The are traps you can get think they're called red top?  Other wise it's sprays really. 

After using clik/clikzen, bar getting caught out like today, crovect is only here now as a treatment, we trust the clik products to do the job well for the rest of the summer, of course after resprays x
« Last Edit: May 28, 2015, 10:33:43 pm by Hellybee »

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS