Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Would a shetland ewe cross with a zwartble tup?  (Read 3338 times)

sloan-89

• Joined May 2015
Would a shetland ewe cross with a zwartble tup?
« on: May 27, 2015, 04:23:31 pm »
I have 4 shetland Ewes 2-4 crop.

I also have 2 zwartble Ewes and a zwartble tup.

Does anyone know if it would be a good idea to tup shetlands with tup?

Comments very welcome :-)

SallyintNorth

• Joined Feb 2011
  • Cornwall
  • Rarely short of an opinion but I mean well
    • Trelay Cohousing Community
Re: Would a shetland ewe cross with a zwartble tup?
« Reply #1 on: May 27, 2015, 05:44:04 pm »
In theory the Shetlands should manage - they have a wide pelvis, and Zwarts aren't the biggest / chunkiest of lambs.

I don't know if I'd try it... but then, I have bought Shetland ewes in lamb to a Blue-faced Leicester, and they managed fine.  So perhaps I would, if I had a reason to want to.
Don't listen to the money men - they know the price of everything and the value of nothing

Live in a cohousing community with small farm for our own use.  Dairy cows (rearing their own calves for beef), pigs, sheep for meat and fleece, ducks and hens for eggs, veg and fruit growing

Yeoman

• Joined Oct 2010
  • South Northamptonshire
« Reply #2 on: May 27, 2015, 06:10:48 pm »
Not quite the same but a friend of mine used a Zwartble tup on his Heb ewes this year and they produced some superb lambs - growing really well!

I don't think he had any issues lambing but I know none of the ewes were first timers...

lesbri

• Joined Apr 2013
« Reply #3 on: May 27, 2015, 06:21:51 pm »
I used a zwartble on a hebridean x ryeland ewe lamb this time (only because she was a particularly well grown lamb)  and she lambed a beautiful single ewe lamb unassisted.   :)

Womble

• Joined Mar 2009
  • Stirlingshire, Central Scotland
« Reply #4 on: May 27, 2015, 06:41:21 pm »
Great question - I was just about to ask it myself!

We're in a similar situation in that we have pure Z ewes and a lovely Z tup to go with them.

However we also have four Manx Loaghtan ewes who ran with a Shetland tup lamb last year and each gave us cracking twin lambs. Two of the Manxs are still wild and will be going for meat in the autumn, but I'd like to keep the tamer two. However, for this to be practical, they need to run with our Z-tup.

Our farmer neighbour said that after seeing how narrow and leggy the Zwartbles lambs were, he'd do it without hesitation, but I'd love to hear from more folks who've done similar, before we commit.

Yeoman - would you be able to speak to your friend and confirm how many (if any) of his Hebs needed assistance?

« Last Edit: May 27, 2015, 06:42:58 pm by Womble »
"All fungi are edible. Some fungi are only edible once." -Terry Pratchett

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS