Smallholders Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Devastated  (Read 3932 times)

Kimbo

• Joined Feb 2015
  • Anglezarke, Lancashire
Devastated
« on: May 20, 2015, 07:41:10 pm »
10 days ago we sold our much loved (but way too big and green) RID to a really lovely lady in the NE of England.

Yesterday we heard that he had been PTS ....grass sickness.

To say we are shocked to the core doesn't begin to describe it. Has anyone any experience of this? The vets thought he had colic and operated but he didn't respond. Newmarket EGS centre examined a biopsy and confirmed acute EGS. This boy was in peak health. He was built like a tank and apart from annual vaccs and dentals he had never seen a vet. What on earth happened ?
I cant come to terms with it and my husband is devastated
Is it time to retire yet?

fsmnutter

• Joined Oct 2012
  • Fettercairn, Aberdeenshire
Re: Devastated
« Reply #1 on: May 20, 2015, 07:51:43 pm »
We don't know enough about grass sickness yet unfortunately other than its a killer. It often hits young horses, particularly if they have moved to a new place as they have not created immunity to it. It is thought to be caused by toxins from a clostridium bacteria that comes from the ground, and vaccine trials are underway in the north east of Scotland but not available to the public yet. It hits very fast in the acute form and can look like colic, but the prognosis is virtually zero chance if acute.
So sorry for your loss but really nothing anyone could have done differently to prevent or treat it.
 :hug:

ScotsGirl

• Joined Dec 2009
  • Wiltshire
« Reply #2 on: May 20, 2015, 08:27:22 pm »
I have witnessed it a couple of times, again when I was still in Scotland and in each case horse PTS. Horses stood with heads hung, looking depressed and a bit colicky. Very sad  :bouquet:

kelly58

• Joined Mar 2013
  • Highlands, Scotland
  • Home is were my animals are.
« Reply #3 on: May 20, 2015, 08:30:37 pm »
So sorry  :bouquet: 

devonlad

• Joined Nov 2012
  • Nr Crediton in Devon
« Reply #4 on: May 20, 2015, 08:53:27 pm »
What a terrible thing for you. So sorry :bouquet:

Caroline1

• Joined Nov 2014
  • Cambridgeshire
« Reply #5 on: May 20, 2015, 08:53:42 pm »
So sorry to hear this :gloomy:
________
Caroline

Hellybee

• Joined Feb 2010
    • www.blaengwawrponies.co.uk
« Reply #6 on: May 20, 2015, 09:09:58 pm »
So sorry xx

Once it has happened to us, we sold a lovely homebred welsh cob mare to an excellent home, a four year old, backed and ridden away, a real good sort, she died a few weeks later :(   From what I ve learnt there are many trigger points.

devonlady

• Joined Aug 2014
« Reply #7 on: May 21, 2015, 10:16:02 am »
If only foresight were as wise as hindsight  :hug: :hug:

Rosemary

• Joined Oct 2007
  • Barry, Angus, Scotland
    • The Accidental Smallholder
« Reply #8 on: May 21, 2015, 10:23:59 am »
We're in the epicentre of equine grass sickness here in Carnoustie. Needless to say, it wasn't mentioned in the particulars for the property  ::) Local story is that it was brought back from the Crimea - we have a big and long established army camp next to us. Other stories is that it was because guano was used extensively on the fields here.

I don't worry about our boys - they're 18 and 14 respectively - but I do feed hay every day as this seems to help prevent it. TBH I worry more about lami and sweet itch.

It's a devastating disease and the prognosis is rarely good. You couldn't have foreseen this happening and I'm so sorry for you both and for the new owner, who must be feeling equally devastated.

sabrina

• Joined Nov 2008
« Reply #9 on: May 22, 2015, 01:18:24 am »
This happened to a pony i bought for my son years ago. He only moved a few miles down the road but got grass sickness and we lost him within 3wks of buying him. He was in good health and we could not believe it. Stress I think is also a trigger. I feed mine all year.

Kimbo

• Joined Feb 2015
  • Anglezarke, Lancashire
« Reply #10 on: May 22, 2015, 04:02:04 pm »
thank you everyone.
we still cant come to terms with it  :gloomy:
Is it time to retire yet?

waterbuffalofarmer

• Joined Apr 2014
  • Mid Wales
  • Owner of 61 Mediterranean water buffaloes
« Reply #11 on: May 22, 2015, 04:39:57 pm »
I am so sorry to hear that. :'(
the most beautiful people we have known are those who have known defeat, known suffering, known struggle, known loss and have found their way out of the depths. These persons have an appreciation, a sensitivity and an understanding of life that fills them with compassion, gentleness, loving concern.

lord flynn

• Joined Mar 2012
« Reply #12 on: May 22, 2015, 04:49:56 pm »
I am so sorry to hear this. I did my PhD in the possible role of C botulinum and grass sickness. If you haven't already, have a look at the Equine Grass Sickness Fund website.

Talking to people who've been around a long time and they will tell you that a poor horse never gets grass sickness-its always those that are very well, it's one of the many things about it that we don't understand. People also think I'm mad for feeding hay year round but I d it because it's thought to help prevent it. Tbh though, over the years I've heard of cases that just flout all of the risk factors :(
« Last Edit: May 22, 2015, 05:11:56 pm by lord flynn »

Baois Glas

• Joined Jun 2014
  • Ireland
« Reply #13 on: May 22, 2015, 05:39:54 pm »
I'm so sorry, it's awful that he went so quickly, you must be so shocked.
How many acres how much light
Tucked in the woods and out of sight
Talk to the neighbours and tip my cap
On a little road barely on the map

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS