Smallholders Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Food Banks - thoughts and feelings ?  (Read 8296 times)

fiestyredhead331

• Joined Sep 2012
  • NW Highlands
    • Facebook
Re: Food Banks - thoughts and feelings ?
« Reply #15 on: May 21, 2015, 04:36:34 pm »
maybe someone can put me right that has seen what exactly you get from a foodbank but from what I have seen on TV clips etc there seems to be an awful lot of jars of sauces, ready made stuff etc rather than packets of flour etc needed to make a sauce but is that because people don't know how to make a white sauce etc or is it more a case of perhaps some people dont have the equipment/kitchen facilities to make a meal from scratch?
Foodbanks with basic cooking classes would be brilliant if they don't do it already?
keeper of goats, sheep, pigs, ducks, chickens, turkeys, dogs, cats, goldfish and children, just don't ask me which is the most work!

cans

• Joined May 2013
« Reply #16 on: May 21, 2015, 05:34:32 pm »
packets and jars etc are maybe more to do with the need to conserve electricity/gas.  Our new neighbours lived off microwave meals and visits to family for meals as they only had a microwave and a kettle when they first moved in. 
So many reasons for so many people.

honeyend

• Joined Oct 2011
« Reply #17 on: May 21, 2015, 07:00:22 pm »
Its not only food they are often fuel poor, or lack the skills and equipment, living in temporary accommodation were there might be only the use of a micro wave or shared facilities.
  I like the idea of pay what you want cafes, I would happily pay the going rate knowing the next person would pay what they could afford. It seems ridiculas that people will pay £2.20 for a cup of coffe when people live on less than that a day.
  Unfortunately food banks have storage problems, I could have donated half a pig but most would have no way to  store it. Our local allotments had a condition that you could not sell what you produce,which was doe with the best intentions but ends up in more food waste.

bloomer

• Joined Aug 2010
  • leslie, fife
  • i have chickens, sheep and opinions!!!
« Reply #18 on: May 21, 2015, 08:53:23 pm »
It's often about fuel poverty as well, most food banks are swamped with pasta as it's a popular item from donates but requires cooking so not all recipients can take it... (it doesn't microwave well)

I visit ours a couple of times a month with donations, they email all regular supporters on a weekly basis with there most needed items, some things it's just because occasional donors don't think of them others because they have a glut of something but they need to balance it with something else... The surprise when I started helping was basic toiletries they are a bug need...

The good news for me is they have just taken delivery of a chiller so they can take fresh veggies from the garden now!!!

Having spent time there its astonishing the number of people forced to use them and these people are desperate many resist as long as possible from embarrassment more than anything... And I only live in a small town.

A good friend of mine heads up 5 food banks in Edinburgh, there will be 8 by thi
this winter...

Is it wrong we need them yes, the only solution is from government and thats not going to happen in the life of this parliament...

As my friend says, he'd love to be unemployed because the need had gone away!!!

Victorian Farmer

« Reply #19 on: May 21, 2015, 09:01:05 pm »
We have one in Aviemore we all support this but when I here that morrasons inverness waste Is  £8000 a week .Haw much this could help . We put eggs etc in and say give them out whith out the humiliated paper work you have to have ,very sad

Roxy

• Joined May 2009
  • Peak District
    • festivalcarriages.co.uk
« Reply #20 on: May 26, 2015, 02:29:52 pm »
We have a local Food Bank, and according to our local paper, the amount of people using it has increased alarmingly.  Apparantly, they do not make it that people can go time after time - more of an emergency measure.  I can see the sense in this, as some people would misuse it, when there are more genuine needy cases needing help.
We often go to the local supermarket just before closing, and there arte three loaded trolleys of bread, veg, chilled meals etc. that are near their sell by date.  We buy all our bread out of this trolley, at a very reduced price, but its obvious its not all going to be sold by closing time - and its therefore dumped in the bins......due to all the health laws they cannot keep it until morning.  Such a shame when soup kitchens, homeless places etc would I am sure be able to use it, without any ill effects to the hungry, desperate people who rely on places like this just to eat.

AndynJ

• Joined Sep 2010
  • uk
  • Says it as it is. don't like it don't look
« Reply #21 on: May 27, 2015, 03:56:16 pm »
I am aware of some people who abuse food banks = it annoys me no end.
Cut a huge story down to a short one due to the winter storms in 2013/14 by March 2014 we had completely run out of food and money, we had no income (no benefits) as we have our own business, we were about 2 weeks of receiving some money, we had gone into debt by £72,000 over that winter, we couldn't borrow even another £10. Too embarrassed to turn to family we probably didn't eat for 4 days, we had a friend helping us tidy up the mess and we had to feed him, he decided to stay an extra 2 days we had nothing to feed him so we turned to the local food bank, they said no because we weren't on benefits nor had we been referred by social services our doctor or a housing officer. Someone on here suggested the church, I went to see the vicar told him of our predicament, if I recall correctly we received within a couple of hours a bag of potatoes, a bag of veg a chicken and either £10 or £20 that saved our mental state, people on here were an absolute lifeline, advice and sense in their words helped us cope. We now give to the church and to the food bank every week.
May I take this opportunity to thank all those on here that helped us get through the worst time of our lives, were not through it yet but by September we will be, thank you to all who sent us seeds for our veg plot, our plot is the best it's ever been.

cans

• Joined May 2013
« Reply #22 on: May 27, 2015, 04:03:45 pm »
Hi AndynJ,

Have often wondered how you have been fairing since last spring.  Glad to hear you are nearly there  :sunshine:

devonlady

• Joined Aug 2014
« Reply #23 on: May 27, 2015, 04:08:52 pm »
Never be embarrassed by asking for help, most folk would be happier to give than to receive :hug: :hug:

AndynJ

• Joined Sep 2010
  • uk
« Reply #24 on: May 27, 2015, 04:47:42 pm »
Hi AndynJ,

Have often wondered how you have been fairing since last spring.  Glad to hear you are nearly there  :sunshine:

We both work incredibly hard, I took a job as well as our business last spring and I now work away most weeks at the moment have done since new year, I'm hoping this is my last week, I will never forget 2014 that was our hardest of times, I will never forget the kind gestures nor the generous offers from people we have never met  :thumbsup:
People on here sent us seeds, that was so fantastic, we couldn't afford to buy them, we had missed our ordering time, we knew that the whole year was going to be a major financial struggle and all the veg we grew made such a difference. Mrs reckons she spent less than £1000 on food in 2014 we are spoilt as we can collect mussels and fish are plentyful (12 mackerel Monday in 35 mins).

AndynJ

• Joined Sep 2010
  • uk
« Reply #25 on: May 27, 2015, 04:55:21 pm »
Never be embarrassed by asking for help, most folk would be happier to give than to receive :hug: :hug:

Thanks,
Another subject, I sent you an email this morning, would be good to have picture so I can show my biker buddy tonight. Hope this makes sense

devonlady

• Joined Aug 2014
« Reply #26 on: May 27, 2015, 07:18:14 pm »
Understood! I will have to get my son to do it.

Roxy

• Joined May 2009
  • Peak District
    • festivalcarriages.co.uk
« Reply #27 on: May 28, 2015, 03:34:58 pm »
AndynJ, I am so pleased you have come through such an awful time.  I cannot believe the Food Bank could not help you - but thank goodness for the Church.  I am sure most of us, if not all, on this forum, would do what we could to help another member if they were in need.  As they say, what goes round, comes round, and one day, God forbid, we may need the kindness of someone  ourselves, so doing what we can to help others makes sense.

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS