Smallholders Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: That quiet moment in the morning...  (Read 3918 times)

Kitchen Cottage

• Joined Oct 2012
That quiet moment in the morning...
« on: May 24, 2015, 06:33:27 am »
You know the one, just you and your first coffee of the day.... still and gradually adjusting to a world other than sleep...

THEY TOOK IT!!!

The cats who KNOW when it is 5am and jump on the bed to mither me took it
The blind dogs who, hearing the cats, start to bark in the kitchen for me to come and let them out
Misty who, feeling me wake, jumps up and dives on me for a game took it and
Tilly (Misty's 11 week old daughter) following in her Mothers footstep took it...

They all nicked the quiet moment.... and they don't seem likely to give it back soon.....

mojocafa

• Joined Sep 2012
  • Angus
Re: That quiet moment in the morning...
« Reply #1 on: May 24, 2015, 07:27:10 am »
I'm still enjoying, every one still sleeping apart from tweeting 3 day old ducklings that are in the kitchen. Definitely the best part of the day, away to make my second cup of tea now and scroll through tas  :thumbsup:
pygmy goats, gsd, border collie, scots dumpys, cochins, araucanas, shetland ducks and geese,  marrans, and pea fowl in a pear tree.

devonlady

• Joined Aug 2014
« Reply #2 on: May 24, 2015, 07:33:14 am »
Morning, Mojocafa and K.C. I'm having mine, too. Doesn't last long enough does it ::)

claire

• Joined Oct 2007
  • Falkirk
    • Clairesgarden
    • Facebook
« Reply #3 on: May 24, 2015, 07:47:46 am »
oh dear, I'm sure you feel better now reading that we are all having a lovely quiet moment...
off out in 15mins to start the day. x

Kitchen Cottage

• Joined Oct 2012
« Reply #4 on: May 24, 2015, 08:18:57 am »
 :roflanim: :roflanim: :roflanim:

I don't mind,  I get to watch Misty and Tilly playing and to cuddle dogs.  I haven't worked out how to tire out two working cockers!  They are Duracell dogs.  Out all day on the go, a nights sleep and they are fully charged.   

I nipped outside to put something in the rubbish and spent an hour cleaning up so my second coffee.... without which Sunday can't OFFICIALLY start has been delayed...

and..... I get to watch swallows going in and out of my stable  ;D back for the first year since I knocked down the old stables and they lost their home.... I felt terrible....  Hopefully I'll get a few more pairs again soon.  They used to dive all around the stable block, it was wonderful...

Dogwalker

• Joined Nov 2011
« Reply #5 on: May 24, 2015, 08:42:48 am »
Now if you were hand milking goats you'd have the perfect excuse to sit still and quiet before everyone else is up. ;)

That's why I don't like the milking machine it makes it into a job to be done.  A few more weeks till I start milking the newly kidded ones as well and my hands won't cope. 

Kimbo

• Joined Feb 2015
  • Anglezarke, Lancashire
« Reply #6 on: May 24, 2015, 12:08:03 pm »
and that moment at this time of year is surely the best, with the trees in their lime-green plumage and the land looking soft and misty. I was lying in bed under the Velux window this morning ( after having an abs  sh*tty day yesterday) watching fluffy clouds and swallows and listening to beautiful birdsong and the dogs gently snoring. It put yesterday into perspective
Is it time to retire yet?

Fleecewife

• Joined May 2010
  • South Lanarkshire
    • ScotHebs
« Reply #7 on: May 24, 2015, 06:06:55 pm »
That lovely time of the morning is when I get my best sleep in  :roflanim:  I spent a lifetime getting up at crazy hours for shift work, so now I don't wake up early on principal.

Instead, I take a bit of time out later in the day to go and sit somewhere well away from the road, shut my eyes and soak up the sights, sounds and smells of the smallholding and countryside.  I particularly love the dusk when everything's settling for the night.

Larks v owls.
"Let's not talk about what we can do, but do what we can"

There is NO planet B - what are YOU doing to save our home?

Do something today that your future self will thank you for - plant a tree

Love your soil - it's the lifeblood of your land.

sabrina

• Joined Nov 2008
« Reply #8 on: May 24, 2015, 06:30:49 pm »
I only have to put a foot on the bedroom floor and the dogs are awake, mums getting up all move. quite moments, what are they ?

devonlady

• Joined Aug 2014
« Reply #9 on: May 24, 2015, 07:40:35 pm »
Keep whippets!! You have to push them out in the mornings :dog: :dog:

Lesley Silvester

• Joined Sep 2011
  • Telford
« Reply #10 on: May 25, 2015, 10:33:32 pm »
My quiet time is late in the evening. OH has gone to bed which means the radio is finally switched off, the dogs are curled up in their beds and the goats can't see me as it's dark so stop calling me to go and see them.

Then I move and the dogs get excited because they know it's nearly supper time.

doganjo

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Clackmannanshire
  • Qui? Moi?
    • ABERDON GUNDOGS for work and show
    • Facebook
« Reply #11 on: May 25, 2015, 11:03:19 pm »
My quiet time is now - hens in, three younger dogs sleeping in their beds in the kitchen, me and old Freckles come through to the study for a quick look online, check emails, facebook etc, with a cuppa, and a slice of toast - and then off to bed.
Busy day, another one tomorrow - off to chase my dreams, goodnight smallholders everywhere :)
Always have been, always will be, a WYSIWYG - black is black, white is white - no grey in my life! But I'm mellowing in my old age

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS