Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Bamboo  (Read 14572 times)

stephen

• Joined Oct 2007
  • Kent
Bamboo
« on: November 16, 2007, 10:27:45 am »
Has anyone grown bamboo from seed? im trying but failing miserably! im following the instructions but am having no joy! ive tried several times over the past 6/7 months now! i could use some pointers if anyone can help!  ;D

pigsatlesrues

• Joined Oct 2008
  • Normandy, France
Re: Bamboo
« Reply #1 on: November 19, 2007, 06:54:56 pm »
I am a totally dreadful gardner, so envy everyone on this site that can grow things successfully.

We have been offered bamboo to use as an alternative to hedging/conifers etc and have been told that once established is prolific. Having said that the person giving us some says that it is better buy some or ask someone who already has some if they might split some down for you, because it can be really difficult to grow. So if you really want some I would buy some in to get it going and keep practicing with the seeds whilst watching the other plants growing out of the window!!

Good luck with it anyway - you obviously have a lot of patience, something I lack I am afraid!

Just decided to be constructive about this topic since my initial response is totally useless to you!! I have just googled bamboo seeds and got this website for you to check out - http://www.wikihow.com/Grow-Bamboo-from-Seed

Now I can say good luck!!

Kate
« Last Edit: November 19, 2007, 07:03:30 pm by pigsatlesrues »
Bonjour et avoir un bon jour !

stephen

• Joined Oct 2007
  • Kent
« Reply #2 on: November 20, 2007, 11:06:48 am »
BIG THANKS for your help! will check out the site later on tonight! ive looked in garden centres at bamboo plants but they all seem to be the same green colour, ive brought seeds for black, red and a kind of stripey multicoloured bamboo and then got a bit carried away and got seeds for bamboo that grows in forests and can reach between 80 and 100 foot high!! (i have an ebay addiction lol) dont think ill be planting them im not sure the neighbours, council or the local airport would be too impressed!!  :D

Hilarysmum

• Joined Oct 2007
« Reply #3 on: November 20, 2007, 12:10:15 pm »
We used to have bamboo, which I am told is indestructible and rampant.  Sadly Hilary did not read the plant guide, it is now extinct.  I admire you having the patience to grow something from seed.  On the odd occasions I do have a success its always from bought in plants.  I did once grow some lemon plants from pips, they grew well, but were eventually Hilaried on one of her escape trips.

stephen

• Joined Oct 2007
  • Kent
« Reply #4 on: November 21, 2007, 09:15:05 am »
Ive read about bamboo spreading like there is no tomorrow but have also read if you dig a deep hole and line it with something inpenetrable like (for ex.) a metal sheet the roots cant spread! not sure i believe this tho! as my partner and i have some wild cats kept in enclosures we wanted to give them bushy plants that would be fast growing, giving them a more natural habitat, places to hide, things to brush against etc, we already have some plants in there but they are so slow growing! so the plan is to plant the bamboo (once established) into containers in the runs made from railway sleepers as the runs are concrete based with 4-5 inches of woodchip on them for licensing reasons we cant plant into the floor! weve spent hours constructing ladders shelves and climbing frames from old logs to make the feel as natural for the cats as we can, normally the cats we have would live in forests / wooded areas, but a tree in a fully enclosed run isnt practical! ive also started a thread on pampas grass because ive brought seeds for this as well, however the neighbour has one and it spreads more and more each year no matter how much she chops it back! any suggestions for quick growing, low maintence bushes max height of about 6 foot would be much apreciated! thanks  for the help already tho guys!

;D

pigsatlesrues

• Joined Oct 2008
  • Normandy, France
« Reply #5 on: November 21, 2007, 11:45:46 am »
We have been looking for fast growing hedging and Laural was suggested to us - lush and green but need regular trimming.

I noticed a posting on AngloInfo Britanny re this subject and this was suggested also:

Instead of laurel why not try Photinia red robin. It has beautiful striking deep red young shoots and leaves and will give you a really good hedge in no time and you can trim it the same as laurel.

Hope this helps - will keep an eye on this topic myself for some other ideas.

Kate :-\
Bonjour et avoir un bon jour !

dave

• Joined May 2008
  • cheshire
« Reply #6 on: May 30, 2008, 07:56:26 am »
Hi,Ive grown bamboo from seed very easily but it needs to be fairly fresh then germination is fast.If stale seed i would try soaking it overnight first.It needs it fairly warm to germinate too.
If your growing it for a hedge watch which type you get as some are very invasive and the roots are very tough.It can be divided but doesnt like it and sulks for ages before shooting.You need a clump forming one.http;//www.exotic-plants.DE/  have various bamboo seeds for sale and describe the clump formers and hardiness.3year old canes are the ones harvested and need drying before use.
Photinia does make a colourful hedge but doesnt thicken up to well,it depends what you want the hedge for.Berberis makes a nice hedge and some are evergreen and thorny too.Cherry laurel would make a thick hedge up to 15 ft plus but can be hacked back very hard.Its easy from hardwood cuttings in a cold frame over winter or even rooted in water,just change water frequently.

Dave 

Hanss69

• Joined Sep 2008
« Reply #7 on: September 02, 2008, 03:56:57 pm »
I tried Phyllostachys moso bamboo seeds from www.pflanzen-exoten.de
They germinate very good.

Had anybody test Bambusa arundinacea to germinate ?

Regards
Hanss

stephen

• Joined Oct 2007
  • Kent
« Reply #8 on: September 11, 2008, 01:13:41 pm »
i gave up growing from seed and we spent a happy afternoon in a very good nursery spending a fortune! weve also discovered friends of friends who were more than happy for us to pop round a dig up a clump or two from their bamboo's! we have a small but lovley collection now all growing well!  ;D

Tweedle

• Joined Jul 2008
  • GMT -5
  • Callender Farms
    • Callender Farms, New Hampshire
« Reply #9 on: September 11, 2008, 04:58:32 pm »
Good luck with your bamboo from seed I wish I could give some advice, but when I hear of people wanting to grow it, it makes me shudder with fear and want to hide. We have bamboo growing everywhere. It does make a great hedge but the kind we have growing here wont die if you want it to and has spread from the neighbors to almost the entire town...
"I like pigs. Dogs look up to us. Cats look down on us. Pigs treat us as equals."  -Winston Churchill-

http://www.callenderfarm.com

MrRee

• Joined Jan 2008
« Reply #10 on: September 22, 2008, 05:52:02 pm »
We used to have bamboo in our garden when I was a child. Every other year we'd cut it down to about 6 inches then have a small bonfire on the clump. The cut bamboo stodd against a south facing wall to dry out and then was used in the veg plot for runner beans et al. This treatment stopped it becoming too invasive and made splitting the root ball easier. Took a few years,but we ended up with 30 metres of bamboo hedging and couldn't give away enough canes!....... Ree
They don’t join cliques — more times than not, they stand alone — but they recognize and gravitate towards one another. Only warriors understand other warriors.

stephen

• Joined Oct 2007
  • Kent
« Reply #11 on: January 30, 2009, 02:59:57 pm »
Ive had success!!

while sorting out some papers i found two different types of bamboo seeds and not having any compost to hand or the urge to go and dig up some mud i ripped up some cardboard and put it in the bottom of two small jam jars then added some ripped up kitchen towel that had been soaked in water and sprinkled the seeds in and then another layer of kitchen towel! i pierced 4 holes in the lids using a corkscrew and left them by the radiator, i noticed that Ive got green shoots coming from one of them! the other looks like its rotting tho! i have no idea what kind of bamboo it is as i didn't write anything other than bamboo on the packet i left them in! so it will be a suprise if i manage to keep them alive!  ;D

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS