Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Company required for single chick - URGENT  (Read 4766 times)

Rosemary

• Joined Oct 2007
  • Barry, Angus, Scotland
    • The Accidental Smallholder
Company required for single chick - URGENT
« on: May 16, 2008, 04:34:41 pm »
No smart remarks, please!

I've just hatched Cream Legbar eggs. Only two hatched and one chick died, so I have a single chick. I don't want it to grow up alne (my Marans are four weeks old and would kill it) so can anyone in Central SCotland either offer Chip a home with others of same age or, even better, sell me a couple of very young chicks. Happy to deliver / pick up. S/he is such a wee sweetie so I hope someone can help

Rosemary

pigsatlesrues

• Joined Oct 2008
  • Normandy, France
Re: Company required for single chick - URGENT
« Reply #1 on: May 16, 2008, 06:56:29 pm »
Rosemary - if you don't get any luck in finding him a friend one way or another, put in a teddy with him.  I hatched a single black Silkie, the other chicks didn't make it out of the shell for some reason.  Anyway, I have a little teddy key ring which I always keep for my first hatchling.  It gets washed over and over and works for duckies as well.  I took off the metal part obviously, but it works a treat and the chick snuggles up to it. 

As the Silkie grew I tried a slightly larger one but she preferred the little chap.  I had her living in the bathroom until it got warm enough and she got big enough to let outside and then she went into the rabbit run, which enabled her to get used to the other chooks around. Once again the teddy was washed and put away for the next chick. We got a miniture Buff Orpington which we put in with her and they became the best of friends.  She is so tame because I became her mum and every time I went into the bathroom I picked her up and she was expecting that in the end.  We had her in a cage for bedtime and let her run around the tiled bathroom floor during the day.  I put out toilet role tubes which she played with, and brought in a painting tray with turfs in it which she loved - all that rooting around and I made sure she had some little worms in it.  It was a wonderful little chooky nursery.  She had a ball!

I called her poopie for obvious reasons, but as she has grown and become so beautiful, her name has changed slightly to Poupet (pronounced poopay), which means rag doll in French.  With her ruffled feathers it really suits her.

It is strange to be telling you about her today actually, because she laid me her first egg today which is just dinky and perfect!

Kate  :chook:
Bonjour et avoir un bon jour !

Rosemary

• Joined Oct 2007
  • Barry, Angus, Scotland
« Reply #2 on: May 16, 2008, 09:50:08 pm »
Thanks for this. On reading your post, we went of in a frenzy of searching for a suitable cuddly toy. Best we could come up with was a felt mouse off one of the cat's toys (he always liked the string best anyway). So Chip is tucked up with that now and we'll see what morning brings

pigsatlesrues

• Joined Oct 2008
  • Normandy, France
« Reply #3 on: May 16, 2008, 11:09:05 pm »
You could try something improvised such as the toe/foot of an old pair of tights. Stuff the toe with more of the tights - it would be nice and soft to cuddle into - Tennis ball size should do it.

Just a thought!

Kate  :chook:
Bonjour et avoir un bon jour !

Rosemary

• Joined Oct 2007
  • Barry, Angus, Scotland
« Reply #4 on: May 17, 2008, 11:11:47 am »
Glad to report that I have found six sisters for Chip - Dan will be picking them up on Monday morning. I hope they all get on!

Chip likes mountaineering - I had him on my lap this morning and he took off up my sweatshirt until he was almost on my shouldre. Prety good for a wee guy who's not awfully sure what to do with his legs yet!

Townie

• Joined Oct 2007
  • Fife
    • http://www.townie.wordpress.com
« Reply #5 on: May 17, 2008, 03:18:13 pm »
Great news that you managed to find wee cheepies to keep chip company  :)

You'll need to keep us posted with their progress, would love to hear how they get on

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS