Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Sunscreen Question  (Read 1491 times)

Kitchen Cottage

• Joined Oct 2012
Sunscreen Question
« on: May 13, 2015, 09:12:15 am »
I am out in the garden and allotment most of the time when I'm not working.  I haven't been applying sunscreen and I need to get back into the habit.

What is your regime and preferred brand?

(my legs of course are perpetually covered but face, arms, neck and hands are on show sometimes.

Ghdp

• Joined Aug 2014
  • Conwy
Re: Sunscreen Question
« Reply #1 on: May 13, 2015, 09:20:47 am »
My brother is a consultant dermatologist and his rule of thumb is 'use the highest factor you can get and if it is not a visible white smear when you go out it isnt enough'
I have to say he is a curiously pale looking chap.  i use a high factor pretty well all the time when out walking but forget frequently to put any on when popping out into the garden for an hour or two. A timely reminder KC

Fleecewife

• Joined May 2010
  • South Lanarkshire
    • ScotHebs
« Reply #2 on: May 13, 2015, 11:50:51 am »
One of my heart meds causes my skin to react very adversely to the sun, even when it's cloudy.  I'm supposed to wear sunblock (ie not just a sunscreen) all the time when I'm outdoors, plus a UV blocking hat and anti UV glasses.  No shorts, no sleeveless tops, gloves for my hands whatever I'm doing.  Apart from providing a hilarious sight to anyone who sees me, this is the biggest drag as you can imagine, when you're trying to work, boiling hot, hat falls over your face, specs steam up.....  I hate it.  But having forgotten the advice a couple of times and suffered bad burning after only a short time outdoors, I try to comply.  My family has a tendency to have pre-malignant solar keratosis (caused by the sun and can turn malignant) so having seen what it's like for them, I have always tried to protect my skin from the sun, even before I started on the med.  Also for a while I worked in Plastic Surgery, where tiny blemishes had quickly turned highly malignant and young people were dying - heart breaking.

So - don't forget your sunscreen, even when it's cloudy in the summer....cos you're worf it  :sunshine: :sunshine: :sunshine: :sunshine:
« Last Edit: May 13, 2015, 11:53:04 am by Fleecewife »
"Let's not talk about what we can do, but do what we can"

There is NO planet B - what are YOU doing to save our home?

Do something today that your future self will thank you for - plant a tree

Love your soil - it's the lifeblood of your land.

Bionic

• Joined Dec 2010
  • Talley, Carmarthenshire
« Reply #3 on: May 13, 2015, 11:52:55 am »
I don't put any on when I'm in the garden but when I went on holiday to the Caribbean I used Riemann P20 on the advice of a friend. It is expensive but you only put it on once a day. I used a high factor one and thought it was fantastic. Its definitely on my list for the next holiday.
Life is like a bowl of cherries, mostly yummy but some dodgy bits

Lesley Silvester

• Joined Sep 2011
  • Telford
« Reply #4 on: May 13, 2015, 11:36:19 pm »
I have some factor 25 but I never think to put it on when I'm in the garden. I should do. My stepfather had skin cancer so I know of the risks. I also have a friend who lost half his ear to skin cancer.

mowhaugh

• Joined Jul 2013
  • Scottish Borders
    • Facebook
« Reply #5 on: May 14, 2015, 07:23:26 pm »
I use the same as the children, Sainsbury's factor 50.  It is one of the very few thing I argue with my OH about, he refuses to wear any and always gets a burnt neck and ears.

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS