Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Is my sow infertile?  (Read 2203 times)

Button End Beasts

• Joined Jan 2012
  • Harston, Cambridgeshire
Is my sow infertile?
« on: May 07, 2015, 09:41:45 pm »
Hello, been a while since I've been on here.

My sow Flo is 3 and has had 3 litters with our boar. Last litter was small (5) and now she hasn't taken with the boar despite being in with him for 3 seasons in a row. He's huffing and puffing around her when she's brimming and nudging her constantly in the side. He's also been seen mounting her though not for any length of time. She seems to stand for him but then can also get a bit grouchy with him. He is hired out as a stud pig and got all 3 sows in pig on his last outing so he seems to be firing on all cylinders.

So would you say that the sow is infertile or would it be worthwhile tryin AI or a different boar? We've raised her from a weaner and I'm very attached to her but realise I can't keep,her if she's infertile.  :-\

Thanks for any help and advice.

harmony

• Joined Feb 2012
Re: Is my sow infertile?
« Reply #1 on: May 07, 2015, 10:43:02 pm »
If she had a small litter last time and has missed three seasons, plus your boar appears to be ok it is looking like there is a problem with your sow. Did she go straight back to the boar after weaning?

I do know some people who had  a very overweight sow whom they could not get in pig. They put her on a diet and kept putting her back to the boar long after the rest of us would of and she eventually took

I guess you have to weigh up the viability. They used to say you needed a litter of 8 to break even so 5 and you lost money.

If your boar can't do the job I think you will be very lucky with AI.

Button End Beasts

• Joined Jan 2012
  • Harston, Cambridgeshire
« Reply #2 on: May 08, 2015, 06:10:35 am »
No, the sow is not overweight, she's in beautiful condition. Her last litter were weaned end of Jan and the boar was back with her about the end of March. Not looking good for Flo is it?

Marches Farmer

• Joined Dec 2012
  • Herefordshire
« Reply #3 on: May 08, 2015, 08:35:39 am »
I normally put the boar back in three days after weaning.  Sow's fertility can be a bit of a balancing act but if you take out a proven boar and the vet says she's not pregnant after you've seen her mated then .....

harmony

• Joined Feb 2012
« Reply #4 on: May 08, 2015, 11:20:28 am »
As Marches farmer says sows are best taken straight back to the boar. The only breed I have left gaps with successfully are British Lops. Sows lay down fat internally and this can affect their ability to conceive.

hughesy

• Joined Feb 2010
  • Anglesey
« Reply #5 on: May 08, 2015, 10:39:24 pm »
Three cycles and nothing doing is looking like it's time to make some room in the freezer.

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS