Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: raising dairy bull calf for veal  (Read 6272 times)

Cjnewton82

• Joined Nov 2012
raising dairy bull calf for veal
« on: April 26, 2015, 01:50:48 am »
ok I have been offed 2 dairy bull calfs, they are 4 weeks old still on the bottle from a dairy  farmer I know. I was thinking of raising them to 9months old to produce veal for our freezers and some friends. but im new to cattle and would like some advice  feed rates amount of milk needed a day water requirements etc  pros and cons of my idea before I go futher thank you in advance
« Last Edit: April 26, 2015, 01:55:39 am by Cjnewton82 »

Jamie12

• Joined Nov 2013
Re: raising dairy bull calf for veal
« Reply #1 on: April 29, 2015, 03:48:23 pm »
Wouldn't have thought you'd make much money from them, input is expensive for calves. I'd feed milk twice a day, id asume they would be on two litres of milk at present? always allow access to clean fresh water, ventilation is a big thing for calves, access to cake but don't give them so much that they waste it all, don't start wean from milk until they are eating at least kg of cake. Keep everything very clean. What sort of health status is the farm/herd? Do they lose many calves, if o why?  Read up on common issues and illnesses, calves can get very Ill very quickly.

Sbom

• Joined Jul 2012
  • Staffordshire
« Reply #2 on: April 29, 2015, 06:45:08 pm »
Have you tried veal? It's not the tastiest meat in the world and would be a waste to go to the trouble of producing something you end up not liking/eating.

Bionic

• Joined Dec 2010
  • Talley, Carmarthenshire
« Reply #3 on: April 29, 2015, 07:32:26 pm »
I love veal but I don't think there is a great market for it. Where I live its very difficult to get hold of (I posted on here about a year ago, looking for some) I tried the local supermarkets and the all looked at me blank. I ended up ordering it for collection from M&S
Life is like a bowl of cherries, mostly yummy but some dodgy bits

Azzdodd

• Joined Apr 2012
« Reply #4 on: May 01, 2015, 01:11:45 pm »
Better if possible to keep them till 18 months I sent my 2 at that age an they were great meat they were Jersey

landroverroy

• Joined Oct 2010
« Reply #5 on: May 03, 2015, 10:33:36 pm »
I'd go for it. They've got a few weeks behind them now, so hopefully shouldn't die on you. They won't cost anything like a more commercial calf (which were up to £500 at Selby last week!) Alright they cost as much to rear in the end, but you'll still get some useful meat from them with nothing like as much money invested in them initially. So a good way for a novice to gain experience.
I would agree that you'd be better keeping them to 18months to get a useable amount of weight on them or your killing costs will take up a large proportion of your profit.
Rules are made:
  for the guidance of wise men
  and the obedience of fools.

Backinwellies

• Global Moderator
  • Joined Sep 2012
  • Llandeilo Carmarthenshire
    • Nantygroes
    • Facebook
« Reply #6 on: May 04, 2015, 08:07:41 am »
I'd go for it. They've got a few weeks behind them now, so hopefully shouldn't die on you. .

immunity is at its lowest from 4 to 6 weeks (assuming they had sufficient colostrum )  so stress of moving could be a problem
Linda

Don't wrestle with pigs, they will love it and you will just get all muddy.

Let go of who you are and become who you are meant to be.

http://nantygroes.blogspot.co.uk/
www.nantygroes.co.uk
Nantygroes  facebook page

Cjnewton82

• Joined Nov 2012
« Reply #7 on: May 05, 2015, 09:38:17 am »
The farm I'm getting them from is agragricultural collage I have spoken at leath and asked a lot of questions. The farm is on lock down as they are TB testing so if all goes well in that regard they should arrive aged at about 8weeks. Fingers crossed it goes well.

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS