Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Orf - how long to isolate?  (Read 1989 times)

Yeoman

• Joined Oct 2010
  • South Northamptonshire
Orf - how long to isolate?
« on: May 05, 2015, 09:17:38 am »
Hi all,
I had a 2 week old lamb who picked up orf from somewhere about three weeks ago.  I managed to isolate him and mum to a separate paddock quite quickly.  The lamb seems to be making a full recovery - the scabs have almost all fallen off.  The ewe seems to have been unaffected.  None of the other members of the flock have shown any symptoms.

How long do you think I need to leave it before putting the lamb and ewe back into the main flock?

Your thoughts would be appreciated...

twizzel

• Joined Apr 2012
Re: Orf - how long to isolate?
« Reply #1 on: May 05, 2015, 11:03:02 am »
I would say until the scabs have totally fallen off and there's no broken skin.

Anke

• Joined Dec 2009
  • St Boswells, Scottish Borders
« Reply #2 on: May 05, 2015, 04:27:51 pm »
I have never isolated sheep/goats with orf from the rest of the flock. The others either get it or not - if it is already on your farm, there isn't much point is there? I have goats sharing pens and some got it, other didn't - even with really close contact and sharing feed bowls.

Me

• Joined Feb 2014
  • Wild West
« Reply #3 on: May 07, 2015, 12:31:03 pm »
I am told the scabs are where the virus lasts the longest off sheep and am told this can be many months

Anke

• Joined Dec 2009
  • St Boswells, Scottish Borders
« Reply #4 on: May 07, 2015, 03:26:45 pm »
I am told the scabs are where the virus lasts the longest off sheep and am told this can be many months

Yes.

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS