Smallholders Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: When to move on pigs  (Read 2004 times)

ladyK

• Joined Dec 2012
  • Conwy Valley
When to move on pigs
« on: May 04, 2015, 11:26:04 am »
So we got our first pair of Tamworth weaners installed 3 weeks ago for ground clearing duties  :excited:
Put them in a 12x12 hurdle pen at first, and started some electric fence training, now they 'graduated' to a 30x30 electric fenced pen which works well it seems, no escapes yet and they got down to work straight away.

My question is how to best gauge when it's time to move the pen to a fresh patch? The pen looks trashed soon enough, but how 'trashed' is trashed enough??
I want them to dig up as many roots as possible, and it seems that only now, after a week, they have started digging a bit deeper (they have pretty much razed the surface though). With the recent rain it all has become very muddy and I'd like to move them on, but not sure if they have done 'enough' for it to have a weakening effect on the regrowth?
Planning to overseed with grass every patch as they clear it. I realise the weeds will not die but if the brambles and bracken just get weaker and less dense first time around I'd be very happy.
"If one way is better than another, it is the way of nature." (Aristotle)

Marches Farmer

• Joined Dec 2012
  • Herefordshire
Re: When to move on pigs
« Reply #1 on: May 04, 2015, 11:53:54 am »
Would it be practical for you to move them onto a new patch then move them back again once there's some regrowth on the present patch?  They're probably a bit young to do really serious excavating work at present.  By the time they're ready to go they'll rival a JCB!

hughesy

• Joined Feb 2010
  • Anglesey
« Reply #2 on: May 04, 2015, 12:03:45 pm »
Hate to tell you but there will be millions of weed seeds in the ground just waiting to be disturbed and will burst into life very quickly at this time of year. Docks in particular are incredibly quick to re  colonise an area after pigs.

ladyK

• Joined Dec 2012
  • Conwy Valley
« Reply #3 on: May 04, 2015, 02:30:30 pm »
Moving them back and forth sounds like a good idea. Will be a bit of a pain but feasible.

I know there will be weeds growing - but anything than a head high dense forest of bracken will be a massive improvement on that patch!
"If one way is better than another, it is the way of nature." (Aristotle)

sabrina

• Joined Nov 2008
« Reply #4 on: May 04, 2015, 02:37:13 pm »
My two who go next week have turned over their small paddock. I cut down their food so they have been working away digging like mad. it is well drained so not a muddy mess. I spread bits of carrots and chopped veg about once a day to keep them busy. Still getting nuts in the mornings.

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS