Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Advice needed on how much to feed pigs  (Read 5663 times)

LisaBellamy

• Joined Mar 2015
Advice needed on how much to feed pigs
« on: May 06, 2015, 05:08:12 pm »
Hi Ive got 2 Tamworth weaners who are now 11 weeks old - all the books seem to say feed 1lb of food each per day for each month old they are (up to 6lbs) - so now that'd be approx 2 1/2 lbs per day each (I feed morning and night) But the farmer who I got them from says she never feeds hers more than 2lb in total (if they are destined for slaughter) They are running outside, I give them a pound of food each, twice a day, and they eat everything I give them and make a lot of noise before and occasionally after.( I may have course misunderstood her!)  What do others think? What is your experience? Thanks in anticipation from a new pig keeper.

Bionic

• Joined Dec 2010
  • Talley, Carmarthenshire
Re: Advice needed on how much to feed pigs
« Reply #1 on: May 06, 2015, 06:07:51 pm »
I've not had tamworths but my book says
8 weeks old 1.5lb each split into 2 meals
12 weeks 2.5lb each
16 weeks 3.4lb each
18 weeks old, until they go to slaughter 3lb each
In addition they have some fruit and veg from the greengrocer
I have followed this for my last 2 sets of weaners and it worked out well.

Life is like a bowl of cherries, mostly yummy but some dodgy bits

nutterly_uts

• Joined Jul 2014
  • Jersey - for now :)

daveh

• Joined Nov 2008
  • South Northamptonshire
« Reply #3 on: May 08, 2015, 09:19:40 am »
Another way of calculating the amount is that they should finish a twice daily feed in 20 minutes. If they finish the feed before this time increase the amount. If there is any left after 20 minutes remove the trough and any uneaten food and cut the amount.

Regards, David

hughesy

• Joined Feb 2010
  • Anglesey
« Reply #4 on: May 08, 2015, 10:37:22 pm »
All these guidelines are just that, guidelines. If they're getting fat you're feeding too much and if they're too thin you need to give them more. Learn to condition score the pigs and use common sense.

HappyHippy

« Reply #5 on: May 09, 2015, 09:08:20 am »
On 2lbs of feed a day it's likely to take quite a while for them to get to slaughter weight  :-\
I've raised Tamworths and can't imagine only feeding 2lbs per day to finishing. If you are topping the feeds with loads of veggies (approx 8lbs per pig per day) they might be okay. I'd be more inclined to increase the ration as they grow, maybe not to the full 6lbs at 6 months, but certainly at least 4 lbs per pig.
HTH

hughesy

• Joined Feb 2010
  • Anglesey
« Reply #6 on: May 09, 2015, 06:22:50 pm »
I think ours would start to eat each other if they only got 2lb per day each.

Marches Farmer

• Joined Dec 2012
  • Herefordshire
« Reply #7 on: May 09, 2015, 06:40:44 pm »
I generally reckon they finish their feed in 20 minutes at weaning, then gradually reduce to 10 minutes by finishing.  That said I feed a little less if it's a hot day and a little more if it's cold, then you adjust for vegetable garden wase and feed some soaked, milled grain in the final month to give a good fat layer and .....

LisaBellamy

• Joined Mar 2015
« Reply #8 on: May 11, 2015, 12:03:14 pm »
Many thanks for all that info - really helpful . Ive read that much in books on it, it just ends up confusing me! Am increasing the amounts as suggested and already following the 20 minute rule/ checking their fat levels anyway. We'll see how it goes.  :pig:

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS