Smallholders Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Hello, I'm new here!  (Read 4275 times)

Tamsjute

• Joined Jun 2015
Hello, I'm new here!
« on: June 17, 2015, 05:45:55 pm »
Hi all,

although I have been reading things on here for a while, I have now joined properly and can bother you with all my queries!
My family and I have just moved to Scotland from New Forest, England and have bought a farm. Although we have always had animals, ponies, poultry etc, we just rented fields, ever had a farm to manage, so this site is proving useful :)
At the moment we have here, 4 New Forest ponies, a shetland pony ad an old Irish cob, 6 geese, 8 call ducks, 6 turkeys and a fair few cuckoo and black copper maran chickens- not to mention the cats dogs and ferrets etc.
We are currently getting the land sorted out, I think its been neglected for a long time and has a lot of rushes growing over most of it and the fencing in most parts is terrible. We've had ditches dug and a pond put in the wettest field, which has made a big difference.
Once the fields are ready I hope to get my first small flock of sheep - we have a fair bit of work to do first!

Bionic

• Joined Dec 2010
  • Talley, Carmarthenshire
Re: Hello, I'm new here!
« Reply #1 on: June 17, 2015, 06:02:12 pm »
Hello and welcome to the forum from Carmarthenshire. Previously I lived just out side Ringwood so I guess you could just about say I was New Forest too
Life is like a bowl of cherries, mostly yummy but some dodgy bits

devonlady

• Joined Aug 2014
« Reply #2 on: June 17, 2015, 06:25:35 pm »
Hello and welcome from Devon :wave:

Rosemary

• Joined Oct 2007
  • Barry, Angus, Scotland
    • The Accidental Smallholder
« Reply #3 on: June 17, 2015, 07:51:51 pm »
And there's the press telling us that folk are leaving Scotland in droves  :innocent:

Welcome to God's country - which part are you in?

Talana

• Joined Mar 2014
« Reply #4 on: June 17, 2015, 09:59:16 pm »
welcome from aberdeenshire

Lesley Silvester

• Joined Sep 2011
  • Telford
« Reply #5 on: June 17, 2015, 11:34:38 pm »
 :wave: Greetings from Shropshire.  Sounds like you are in for a lot of work and even more fun.  :D

lilfeeb

• Joined Feb 2013
  • Kinross-shire
« Reply #6 on: June 18, 2015, 07:59:55 am »
Welcome to Scotland from Kinross-shire. We love our new forest pony, he is such a character.

Tamsjute

• Joined Jun 2015
« Reply #7 on: June 24, 2015, 08:05:33 pm »
Thanks guys and gals,

We're near Shotts in North Lanarkshire.
Yes we have a lot of work ahead of us - and Foresters, best ponies you can get  ;)

Fleecewife

• Joined May 2010
  • South Lanarkshire
    • ScotHebs
« Reply #8 on: June 24, 2015, 11:44:39 pm »
 :wave: Hi and welcome.  I'm just a bit south of Shotts, and to me it means horrible icy trips to the abattoir on dark winter mornings.  Good luck with dealing with your rushes/rashes/reshes and getting your land in shape.  Quite a culture shock after the New Forest?
"Let's not talk about what we can do, but do what we can"

There is NO planet B - what are YOU doing to save our home?

Do something today that your future self will thank you for - plant a tree

Love your soil - it's the lifeblood of your land.

SallyintNorth

• Joined Feb 2011
  • Cornwall
  • Rarely short of an opinion but I mean well
    • Trelay Cohousing Community
« Reply #9 on: June 25, 2015, 09:52:12 am »
Welcome from me too, another 'ex-pat' to northern climes from 'dahn sahth' ;)

I came up to Northumberland (am now in Cumbria) from Exmoor, so thought I knew about cold weather.  Wrong!!!  8 years on I am more acclimatised now - but only because I have loads of really excellent woolly things - bedding, tights, jumpers, overjumpers, humungous girt gansey work jumpers, double-layer gloves with long-fingered 'fingerless' glove inside all-over mitt outside, etc, etc, - and we've installed a Rayburn to make the house be always warm and dry, and us and our clothes be able to dry and warm quickly when we just came in soaked and will have to go out again later on...

It is better up here, more real.  But the weather...  :o  :cold:  :gloomy:  :raining:
Don't listen to the money men - they know the price of everything and the value of nothing

Live in a cohousing community with small farm for our own use.  Dairy cows (rearing their own calves for beef), pigs, sheep for meat and fleece, ducks and hens for eggs, veg and fruit growing

Rupert the bear

• Joined Jun 2015
« Reply #10 on: June 25, 2015, 01:45:08 pm »
Another welcome from Aberdeenshire one step at a time  and live the dream

Quirkygirl

• Joined May 2015
  • Cwmbran, Wales
« Reply #11 on: June 26, 2015, 01:24:08 am »
Welcome from the beautiful Wales  :excited: :tree:

Kimbo

• Joined Feb 2015
  • Anglezarke, Lancashire
« Reply #12 on: June 28, 2015, 06:29:27 pm »

Welcome to God's country - which part are you in?

Isnt that what Yorkshire sells itself as??

( Ive no axe to grind...Im a Lancastrian and we hide our light under a bushel  :innocent: )
Is it time to retire yet?

Kimbo

• Joined Feb 2015
  • Anglezarke, Lancashire
« Reply #13 on: June 28, 2015, 06:30:30 pm »
- and Foresters, best ponies you can get  ;)

Oh dear oh dear oh dear!!!  :innocent:
Where do I even begin???
Is it time to retire yet?

SallyintNorth

• Joined Feb 2011
  • Cornwall
  • Rarely short of an opinion but I mean well
    • Trelay Cohousing Community
« Reply #14 on: June 29, 2015, 06:52:21 am »
- and Foresters, best ponies you can get  ;)

Oh dear oh dear oh dear!!!  :innocent:
Where do I even begin???

Well, as a softie southerner moved up to Northumberland from Exmoor, thought I knew cold, I'm just watching and waiting to hear how these lovelies cope up here... ;).   :roflanim:

Don't listen to the money men - they know the price of everything and the value of nothing

Live in a cohousing community with small farm for our own use.  Dairy cows (rearing their own calves for beef), pigs, sheep for meat and fleece, ducks and hens for eggs, veg and fruit growing

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS