Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Pet lamb problems  (Read 5911 times)

Penninehillbilly

• Joined Sep 2011
  • West Yorks
Re: Pet lamb problems
« Reply #15 on: April 15, 2015, 03:19:20 pm »
Hi sorry about your losses, can only guess how sickened you must be feeling.
I was thinking under the same lines as fleecewife before I got to her post, esp if previous owner had had many losses.
Why can't you run sucklers under the stewardship scheme? (tho if there is a problem with the land sucklers would be a more expensive loss?)
is it possible to get soil tests done for heavy metals etc, I know nothing about those costs though
Is it possible to dig a ditch along the top of your fields to divert water down sides?
Hoping the AB's work for the rest of them  :fc:

Marches Farmer

• Joined Dec 2012
  • Herefordshire
« Reply #16 on: April 15, 2015, 09:02:21 pm »
Lambs will fit before they die due to a number of causes, not just meningitis.  The PM should give an indication of which direction to look for answers.  I would be inclined to try and keep the lambs off the fields used for turnout in the past and have regular FEC tests through to June as there's likely to be a heavy worm burden on the pasture. 

moony

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Dent
« Reply #17 on: April 16, 2015, 07:54:11 am »
Had another one bite the dust so back to the drawing board with the vets. See what other suggestions he has. Getting to the stage I really cant afford to throw anymore money at them now. To top it all off the ewes which are lambing are getting pink eye yet again and the landlord has decided to dig up the drive at 36hrs notice so I have to move all the sheep to the rough hill land to lamb. Sure he could have waited 4 wks until we have to vacate the meadows anyway.

Liz Kershaw

• Joined Aug 2014
« Reply #18 on: April 16, 2015, 08:19:17 am »
Dear Moony,
Like some of the other posters, I have no advice to offer, but you really do have my heartfelt best wishes. It sounds as if it's really grim for you at the moment - please keep us updated.

Hellybee

• Joined Feb 2010
    • www.blaengwawrponies.co.uk
« Reply #19 on: April 16, 2015, 09:59:13 am »
Has an fec been done?  Thinking of you, lots, wandering round yesterday doing my stuff and pondering.....

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS