Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: very small lamb  (Read 1837 times)

bugsym00

• Joined Apr 2015
very small lamb
« on: April 09, 2015, 11:38:12 am »
Last lambs born today unfortunatley one was still born however other lamb is a very very small girl. Mum doing all the necessary but she is to small to reach the teats. Have held her to mother to get collustrum and dont really want to take her away any ideas.

babysham

• Joined Jun 2014
  • Lancashire/Yorkshire Border
Re: very small lamb
« Reply #1 on: April 09, 2015, 01:17:54 pm »
I had twins just the same two weeks ago - we call them the pea pods. Full term to a hogg. I spent every four hours in her pen getting them to feed for a couple of days then as soon as they saw me arrive they went straight under. I did milk off some colostrum from her 30 ml each and tubed them at the start to ensure were fully covered. I always have some to hand also in the freezer as build up a stock from older ewes as they lamb in ice trays just in case. Another thing I gave every new born lamb and these twins every couple of days is something called lamb thrive which you get from any ag supplier - they all have own brands but full of probiotics and vitamins which is said to help boost and prevent scours and watery mouth and so far this has worked for all ours.
Its hard work but will be worth the time in the end. Good Luck xx

Buffy the eggs layer

• Joined Jun 2010
Re: very small lamb
« Reply #2 on: April 09, 2015, 01:39:20 pm »
I agree with Babysham but would add that if you can get mum out on grass she will produce more milk which will make her udders bigger, the lamb will also grow very quickly and the gap should close.

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS