Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: orpingtons hen or cockeral  (Read 3624 times)

qpd4ever

• Joined Jan 2010
orpingtons hen or cockeral
« on: February 02, 2010, 07:43:18 pm »
i have 3 buff orpington chickens aprox 1 year old .i have not had an egg out of any but none of them have cockadodle dude are they male or female. i have noticed that sometimes they face each other and puff their necks up. can someone tell me if im waiting for an egg that is never going to come.

RUSTYME

• Joined Oct 2009
Re: orpingtons hen or cockeral
« Reply #1 on: February 02, 2010, 08:04:26 pm »
http://www.mypetchicken.com/chicken-breeds/Orpington-B80.aspx

the pictures on the above site should show you what you have ...hope that helps ..

Cheers

Russ

little blue

• Joined Jun 2009
  • Derbyshire
« Reply #2 on: February 02, 2010, 09:18:02 pm »
not orps, but we have one cockerel.... and 2 hens that crow!  so its no guarantee of gender
Little Blue

Roxy

• Joined May 2009
  • Peak District
    • festivalcarriages.co.uk
« Reply #3 on: February 02, 2010, 09:58:33 pm »
The facing each other and puffing necks up, could be two cockerels having a skirmish, but having said that, some of my hens regularly do that to each other!!  But at a year old, I would have expected a few eggs by now.  Is there any way they could be laying somewhere outside, perhaps (thats if they are indeed hens!)

qpd4ever

• Joined Jan 2010
« Reply #4 on: February 03, 2010, 08:01:46 am »
i think im going to put them in their own place as they are free range with 3 warrens who lay eggs nearly every day.

sonyasmallholder

• Joined Feb 2010
« Reply #5 on: February 05, 2010, 06:28:40 pm »
i dont know if they are girl or boy but this morning one of the orpingtons cockadoodle dooed and we are keeping a close eye on it but we still have two more we are unsure about.

northfifeduckling

• Joined Jan 2009
  • Fife
    • North Fife Blog
« Reply #6 on: February 05, 2010, 09:44:17 pm »
this morning one of my ducks (definitely a girl) was playing drake - I think the birds are confused themselves at this time of the year, even if they are adults  ;D :&> :chook:

sonyasmallholder

• Joined Feb 2010
« Reply #7 on: February 06, 2010, 12:12:02 pm »
its hard to figger out if they are girl or boy because they are acting like cockrels but when we bought them the man said they were hens. :chook:  :-\

Elissian

• Joined Oct 2009
  • Wiltshire
« Reply #8 on: February 06, 2010, 09:37:04 pm »
There are a few pointers which would separate males from females but if they're all the same sex obviously then you can't compare them to each other. Males have bigger combs and thicker legs than females. the feathers at the base of the tail are rounded in females and pointed in males. If you have both sexes this might help.
good luck, helen

sagehen

• Joined Jun 2009
  • Warwickshire
« Reply #9 on: February 06, 2010, 10:08:17 pm »
My neighbour's got buff orpingtons. The males usually have upright combs and the females don't. Post a pic, so we can help you, maybe?

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS