Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Once a day milking.  (Read 2876 times)

Beeducked

• Joined Jan 2012
Once a day milking.
« on: April 10, 2015, 07:22:09 pm »
Hi, a bit of advice please.

I got my goats almost a year ago. I got 2 in milk does and 2 youngsters (18 months old). The milkers kidded in 2013 and so are now coming into their third year of milking. They slowed down in winter as expected and I went down to once a day milking accepting that they would slow down further and potentially more likely to dry up. With work commitments it is a lot easier for me to stick to once a day milking but their production has increased a great deal in the last month or so and I am now getting over 2 litres each a day. Is there a point that I should really go back to twice a day milking for their benefit or will their production plateaux if I continue as I am?

Really do not need any more milk! Am already giving it away to my neighbours to feed to their cade lambs!

cans

• Joined May 2013
Re: Once a day milking.
« Reply #1 on: April 10, 2015, 07:29:13 pm »
Hi,
My AN ran through for a good few years and we were only milking once a day in the end. Milking once a day wont harm them. Cut back a bit on their hard feed and since the grass will be growing soon(!) they will be eating that.
I am sure someone will be along soon with more advice.

Beeducked

• Joined Jan 2012
« Reply #2 on: April 10, 2015, 07:33:42 pm »
Mine are ANs too. ;D

As long as they will be fine I'm fine. A gallon a day is a bit overwhelming while lambing as don't have the time for cheese making but once my final girl lambs will be able to get back to it!

cans

• Joined May 2013
« Reply #3 on: April 10, 2015, 08:55:53 pm »

I loved my ANs, stubborn as anything but very loving.

You will know when you are milking if there is a problem with the udder.

Freeze some of it?  Lots of custard for tea   :innocent:

Lesley Silvester

• Joined Sep 2011
  • Telford
« Reply #4 on: April 10, 2015, 11:19:57 pm »
Chuck some in my direction! Shop milk is not the same as the real thing.

Pom seems to be a bit rounder btw.  :excited:

Beeducked

• Joined Jan 2012
« Reply #5 on: April 13, 2015, 04:52:43 pm »
Will definitely send some your way ;D  At least it's not going to waste as the cades are doing well on it and once lambing is over and I have a bit more time will be able to get back to cheese making. Had been planning on drying at least one of them up to be taken over by Huelwen after she's kidded but looks like I might be milking all three!

Very exciting about Pom. will keep my fingers crossed. Can you feel anything moving inside? I only noticed with Huelwen about a month ago but it was really obvious, I just hadn't thought to have a feel before then. It's one of my favourite points of the morning, she gets up onto the milking stand to have her ration of feed and I handle her udder to get her used to it all and then can lay my hand on her belly, in front of her udder and feel the kid(s) wriggling about. :excited:

Lesley Silvester

• Joined Sep 2011
  • Telford
« Reply #6 on: April 14, 2015, 12:10:18 am »
I did try putting my hand under Pom but she wasn't having any of it. I'll have to try again when someone available to hold her. About time you came for a visit, isn't it?

I'm trying not to get too  :excited:  just yet. I still haven't told Alan that she is due (if she is in kid) the weekend of our wedding anniversary. It's not going to go down too well.

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS