Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Bloated lambs?  (Read 2967 times)

m3joeEm

• Joined Jan 2015
  • Northern Ireland
Bloated lambs?
« on: March 31, 2015, 11:42:01 am »
I have two lambs who are both very bloated and sore looking but are still bright and move around, they are in the field with the mother who hasn't a lot of milk, i do provide them with a bottle feed twice a day as a top up but they take very little. the are eating creep feed but are not growing well at all for their age. not sure what to do, should i take them off the ewe and bottle feed or do they need a remedy of some sort ? maybe its not bloat? helpppp!!

m3joeEm

• Joined Jan 2015
  • Northern Ireland
Re: Bloated lambs?
« Reply #1 on: March 31, 2015, 11:47:41 am »
I solved bloat in a ewe before with baking soda and mineral oil , should i try this with the lambs? the lambs spines are sticking out and have huge stomachs. possible hunger bloat?

Me

• Joined Feb 2014
  • Wild West
« Reply #2 on: March 31, 2015, 12:08:12 pm »
Yes they do sound hungry, the remedy mentioned would likely be inappropriate, could you pop them in the car to the Vets or sheep farming neighbour for hands on advice? Coccidiosis for eg. could be part of the picture age dependant. Best someone has a look.

SallyintNorth

• Joined Feb 2011
  • Cornwall
  • Rarely short of an opinion but I mean well
    • Trelay Cohousing Community
« Reply #3 on: March 31, 2015, 04:56:04 pm »
There are a number of things it could be. 

Check they have an anus and are using it ok.  What is their poo like?

Does the big belly 'slosh' or is it more solid?

Are they are less than 6 weeks old?  If so, and they are trying to get by on solids, that could cause a big belly - and ill-thrift, as the rumen is not yet sufficiently developed for them to get all their nutrition this way.

None of these conditions is bloat but all may show an enlarged belly.  As could worms.

Don't listen to the money men - they know the price of everything and the value of nothing

Live in a cohousing community with small farm for our own use.  Dairy cows (rearing their own calves for beef), pigs, sheep for meat and fleece, ducks and hens for eggs, veg and fruit growing

Hellybee

• Joined Feb 2010
    • www.blaengwawrponies.co.uk
« Reply #4 on: April 01, 2015, 05:05:01 am »
Perhaps they re having a little too much of everything. I m very conservative of what our lambs have here, don't want to over cook them.  Either that or they a bit wormy like said above x

m3joeEm

• Joined Jan 2015
  • Northern Ireland
« Reply #5 on: April 01, 2015, 09:15:47 am »
SallyintNorth yes they are around 5-6 weeks, they came running for the bottle today and are taking more each day thankfully. They spend too much time in the creep feeder for their age i guess. It does seem to be like they have been only eating solids recently.  I really hope they do ok once i get them on the bottle better.

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS