Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: lamb scouring slighty  (Read 1755 times)

Jamie12

• Joined Nov 2013
lamb scouring slighty
« on: March 26, 2015, 07:21:47 am »
The smaller of my two twins has a yellowy back end, poo isn't too thin and watery. Lamb is suckling well, seems bright, alert, full, etc. Ewe and lambs have access to a pen and can go outdoors into a makeshift paddock. She is my only ewe lambed hence why she isn't out in the field set aside for them yet. The other lamb seems okay. Should I be giving the lame glucose as a precaution?. Pens are clean, were well disinfected, and bedding is dry. Gloves were used to handle lambs and wellies are disinfected before going in with the sheep, I work with calves so everything is disinfected when I leave work and disinfected again at the sheep as a precaution.
Any suggestions?.

Edited to add: lamb was born on Friday evening without any assistance, and was the second one born.

EP90

• Joined Jan 2013
  • Ireland
Re: lamb scouring slighty
« Reply #1 on: March 26, 2015, 09:27:55 am »
I’m bottle feeding 4 cades approx 2 weeks old.  All had loose yellow poo which I believe is quite normal.  Then a couple of days ago they went to semi solid and then solidish poo.  From your description I don’t think I would be concerned yet, just monitor.  You might want to clean up the back end while it’s easily washed off.

Bionic

• Joined Dec 2010
  • Talley, Carmarthenshire
« Reply #2 on: March 26, 2015, 09:33:14 am »
And in case you haven't alredy realised it stinks to high heaven  :roflanim:
Life is like a bowl of cherries, mostly yummy but some dodgy bits

Foobar

• Joined Mar 2012
  • South Wales
« Reply #3 on: March 26, 2015, 10:31:40 am »
Sounds like Mum is being lazy and not cleaning up the bums :).  Yellow = normal for that age.

SallyintNorth

• Joined Feb 2011
  • Cornwall
  • Rarely short of an opinion but I mean well
    • Trelay Cohousing Community
« Reply #4 on: March 26, 2015, 11:02:39 am »
Sounds like Mum is being lazy and not cleaning up the bums :).  Yellow = normal for that age.

This.  Sticky yellow= normal, mothers should lick clean but some don't.  Occasionally it can form a hard crust which prevents new stuff getting out and by then it's very difficult to remove, so the advice to clean it off now while it's soft is a good tip ;)

Runny/watery yellow is not ideal and would want monitoring.
Don't listen to the money men - they know the price of everything and the value of nothing

Live in a cohousing community with small farm for our own use.  Dairy cows (rearing their own calves for beef), pigs, sheep for meat and fleece, ducks and hens for eggs, veg and fruit growing

Jamie12

• Joined Nov 2013
« Reply #5 on: March 26, 2015, 01:38:58 pm »
Given them both a drop of veloron, which should help. Wee lamb looks much better.

I have to say, calf scour smells much worse. Especially when you get it in your hair  ::) ;D

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS