Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: CCTV  (Read 4123 times)

Goldcraig

• Joined Jan 2012
  • North Ayrshire
CCTV
« on: May 09, 2015, 08:04:10 am »
Hi, Looking for any recommendations on home CCTV systems. I need a 4 camera system, available to view via iphone with 1TB HD.
Has anyone installed a good system that they recommend?
Muchas Grassyarse....... :sunshine: 
Trust me.....I'm a Chef !!

Buttermilk

• Joined Jul 2014
Re: CCTV
« Reply #1 on: May 10, 2015, 07:24:41 am »
I got one of these from Maplin

Swann DVR8-3450 8 Channel CCTV Kit with 4 Cameras
Code: A92QZ
Widescreen 960H resolution 8 channel CCTV system
4 x clear resolution 700TVL cameras with night vision up to 25m
1TB hard drive capacity – giving you up to 30 days recording capacity
Save: £80.00
£399.99
£319.99

Home Delivery Click & Collect
Find in store
Product details
•   Widescreen 960H resolution 8 channel CCTV system
•   4 x clear resolution 700TVL cameras with night vision up to 25m
•   1TB hard drive capacity – giving you up to 30 days recording capacity
•   IP67 weatherproof cameras for indoor/outdoor use
•   Motion detection digital video recorder (DVR) with alerts sent to your smart device
•   See what’s happening live & receive alerts on your 3G/4G capable smartphone & tablet including iPhone, iPad & Android devices using the free SwannView Link app
•   Add up to four more cameras of your choice for additional security

pgkevet

• Joined Jul 2011
« Reply #2 on: May 10, 2015, 09:57:38 am »
The real question is why? If it's to keep an eye on stock and property damage while on hols then well worth it. If it's to deter or catch burglars then sadly a waste of time. I've had sophisticated CCTV systems and burglar alarms in past homes and business and of no use when it comes to a hooded figure ram-raiding. And all you get from plod is a 'sorry you;ve been a victim of crime' letter with a crime number.
You could save your money with a dummy cam or two.....

Goldcraig

• Joined Jan 2012
  • North Ayrshire
« Reply #3 on: May 11, 2015, 08:28:41 am »
I want to install it to keep an eye on animals and also act as a deterrent. We have in the past had issues with vehicles just driving into our property and then asking if we were selling things. This is despite signs up saying that it is private property etc. Also going to install electric gates at the entrance to the property. Fortunate that it's one road in and out. So....electric gates, plus cameras will assist us no end....

ScribbleUk

• Joined Sep 2012
« Reply #4 on: May 11, 2015, 11:43:58 am »
The Foscam IP outdoor cameras are pretty good.  You need a NAS or PC constantly on to save the recordings, so they can be pricey to set up, but once you have the basic networking in place it is easy to add more or relocate cameras as necessary.  They can be viewed via web browser or iPhone app.  Most have wired or wireless options, and a range of quality settings, motion detection, etc. I've found the IR night vision to be very good.  Useful for finding out what time the fox was making his daily visit/kill at!

Goldcraig

• Joined Jan 2012
  • North Ayrshire
« Reply #5 on: May 11, 2015, 01:25:20 pm »
Thanks for the reply  :)

sabrina

• Joined Nov 2008
« Reply #6 on: May 11, 2015, 04:30:59 pm »
We have had CCTV for years now but as OH installed ours i can't say what they are. I know they have night vision and i can watch ours on the TV at night to save me going out to check the ponies before i go to bed. We also have one to keep an eye on our oil tank as we thought we were going through a lot of heating oil. Funny enough not anymore. there was a guy who threatened me a few summers ago. he had been hiding in the field next to us, behind the hedge. he had a right rant at me, just a load of rubbish realy as he had been to the pub but his tone changed as soon as he saw the camera and yes we had the whole thing as ours record 24hrs a day. No one can get near without the camera picking them up. Neighbours have had stuff stolen in the past and we used to get the odd white van looking for scrap but all that stopped.

Penninehillbilly

• Joined Sep 2011
  • West Yorks
« Reply #7 on: May 11, 2015, 04:51:34 pm »
We have a 4 camera sysem for afew yers now, didn't connect the barn one up, had some scaffolding stolen, OH connected it up straight away, as the camera gives off red glow from the infra red we presume that now discourages people.
Also bleeps when a vehicle come up the lane, so if I'm on the computer in far room I can still see if they stop without me having to go to the door.
Also occasionally (??) I can't remember where I've put things, run foootage back I know which direction I carried it last (ie expensive camera on Sunday, at least I knew I'd taken it back in the house! :relief: )
Did have one covering top of field/lane, but camera transformer has gone, this has reminded me to look for another while online.
I like ours. but probably better and cheaper now.

pgkevet

• Joined Jul 2011
« Reply #8 on: May 11, 2015, 09:29:48 pm »
I want to install it to keep an eye on animals and also act as a deterrent. We have in the past had issues with vehicles just driving into our property and then asking if we were selling things. This is despite signs up saying that it is private property etc. Also going to install electric gates at the entrance to the property. Fortunate that it's one road in and out. So....electric gates, plus cameras will assist us no end....

The point I was making is that dummy cameras will be just as good a deterrant and save costs. But if using for watching stock/wildlife then a good system can be fun. I had pleasure watching the nightly fox checking his boundaries and the squirrels running about when I was in south london.

I also get the ocassional white van turning up 'in error' etc. Generally I whip out my phone and make a point of driver seeing me snapping his licence plate!

I'd love electric gates but it's 90 metres from the consumer unit and the terrain would mean armoured cable... and the only reason would be 'cos I'm lazy about getting out of the car to open gates.. so need them remote controlled etc.. all gets pricey. I'll just keep getting out of the car.

dst015

• Joined Mar 2015
  • Portlethen
    • Facebook
« Reply #9 on: June 01, 2015, 10:36:38 am »
goldcraig did you manage to get a CCTV system installed yet??

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS