Smallholders Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Me and my big mouth - another tip for lambing  (Read 5039 times)

ScotsGirl

• Joined Dec 2009
  • Wiltshire
Me and my big mouth - another tip for lambing
« on: March 11, 2015, 01:43:55 am »
ive watched enough Casualty to know you never say things are quiet. And in the same way, while there are still sheep to lamb NEVER say no problems/no losses.

Just said goodbye to the vet after having to call out to black Welsh.  She'd started lambing then given up and when I tried to check internally the cervix was closing and I couldn't get to lamb or tell how it was presented. By the time vet had arrived she had pushed it through pelvic area but there was no way it was going to fit despite a lot of pulling. Episiotomy and 3 stitches later we had one ram lamb and thankfully he is alive, for now.

2 down, 3 to go.

Buffy the eggs layer

• Joined Jun 2010
Re: Me and my big mouth - another tip for lambing
« Reply #1 on: March 11, 2015, 06:07:51 am »
Oh no Scots girl!

When it happens on Casualty its known as dramatic irony. When it happens in reality it's just bad luck!

Still its harder when the bad stuff happens at the end. When it happens at the beginning you feel things can only improve from there and are grateful for small mercies. But when you are riding high with a great lambing season it brings you down to earth with a bump.

Hope things settle down :-\ [size=78%]  [/size]

ZaktheLad

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Thornbury, Nr Bristol
« Reply #2 on: March 11, 2015, 07:20:48 am »
I've never heard of that procedure used on a sheep - interesting.  What a nightmare though - glad you have got a live lamb from it all and I hope both Mum and ram lamb thrive now.

Good luck with the 3 remaining ewes.  Mine are due from 16th and I have been frightening myself by reading up in my book of lambing techniques, about everything that can go wrong.  It is truly scary how many different ways a lamb can present itself!  I am trying to remember that 95% of lambings are trouble-free  :innocent:

ScotsGirl

• Joined Dec 2009
  • Wiltshire
« Reply #3 on: March 11, 2015, 08:23:53 am »
Both seem fine this morning but fetlocks are locked at moment presumably due to foetal position. May splint later. It would have been a c section if I hadn't palpated belly and cervix to try and re-position lamb. By time vet got there she had pushed it too far.

Only 2nd real catastrophe in 6 years so not too bad!

trish.farm

• Joined Feb 2014
  • hampshire
« Reply #4 on: March 11, 2015, 08:58:22 am »
Blimey!! Well done you for getting a good result after all that!!!  Hope mum and baby survive ok.  Never heard of that in sheep, hope your last few are straight forward.   :fc:

Foobar

• Joined Mar 2012
  • South Wales
« Reply #5 on: March 11, 2015, 09:36:37 am »
Ug, glad there was a successful outcome!  Is he a big lamb?

My first lot of blacks are due this weekend, and they are looking fit to burst ...fingers crossed they all plop out without any issues!  Worst presentation I've had to date with my blacks was one coming backwards last year ... and luckily for me the ewe walked over to me after a hour or so of labour, as if to say "I need a little bit of help here please Mum!". :)

ScotsGirl

• Joined Dec 2009
  • Wiltshire
« Reply #6 on: March 12, 2015, 09:06:56 pm »
Unfortunately the lamb doesn't look good. He has an undershot bottom jaw so not sure if he will manage to graze but he is suckling. His legs I think are improving and he did manage to find his way out the shed this afternoon. I will have to watch though as mum left him and he was quite happily lying in a corner.

Would you believe I then went to check about midnight last night to find a head hanging out! Luckily I could just get my hand over the top and managed to wriggle a leg through with my finger and delivered him. 2nd lamb was same but head down so had to lift chin up, find legs and bring them through to deliver ewe lamb.

So much for blacks being easy lambers! 2 more of them to go. One of yours Foobar was the only one to deliver without a hitch. Cracking big ram lamb. Other one is due anytime.

trish.farm

• Joined Feb 2014
  • hampshire
« Reply #7 on: March 12, 2015, 09:45:17 pm »
You are doing well!!!  And keeping relatively calm!!  Hope the little chap survives, my girls quite often leave their babies in the shed and mooch off for a graze, an hour later there is a right old rumpus as they are all screaming for mummy!!

ZaktheLad

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Thornbury, Nr Bristol
« Reply #8 on: March 12, 2015, 09:46:09 pm »
Good job you were there  :thumbsup: and well done on another good intervention. You always sound so calm and laidback about it!

ScotsGirl

• Joined Dec 2009
  • Wiltshire
« Reply #9 on: March 13, 2015, 01:33:16 am »
Another late night, lots of muttering and swearing as yet another little black Welsh decided to lamb but didn't want to push. I'm getting fed up of this. They are definitely trying my patience. Loads of yellow gunk oozing out, after a lot of objections I managed to examine her. Lamb was sitting low with legs back, eventually got it engaged and she started to push. It was huge and got stuck yet again at the exit.

My son now feels very pleased with himself as when I went to fetch my ropes, he managed to pull with her contractions and budge the head a little further out. When I got back, with a few instructions, he managed to deliver the lamb. Both doing well but reckon she and the other had a mummified lamb and that was what caused the discharge.

Oh well, one more to go and reckon she is saving herself for tomorrow night making it 5 days in a row with hardly any sleep.

trish.farm

• Joined Feb 2014
  • hampshire
« Reply #10 on: March 13, 2015, 08:15:49 am »
 :hug: you are having a bit of a bum deal this year!!!  :hug:

Foobar

• Joined Mar 2012
  • South Wales
« Reply #11 on: March 13, 2015, 09:38:02 am »
Oh noes!!! Well done both of you for managing to deliver them all okay.  Fingers crossed for the last one!  Did you use a different ram this year to previous years?

My first one popped out a pair of twins this morning - two days early, in the rain, caught me by surprise!

ScotsGirl

• Joined Dec 2009
  • Wiltshire
« Reply #12 on: March 14, 2015, 10:40:52 am »
No same one but selling him and looking for another. I need to check the ewes against last year's records. I had two abort and put it down to stress but if same ones that were difficult this year, they will have to go.

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS