Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: So you want to start pig keeping?  (Read 15341 times)

gavo

• Joined Aug 2008
  • Belcoo, Enniskillen, N.Ireland
  • Crazy Pig Lover
Re: So you want to start pig keeping?
« Reply #15 on: March 07, 2009, 08:17:23 am »
Give GOS keepers their due - the best book we bought on pigs was Rare Breed Pig Keeping edited by Richard Lutwyche taken from the GOS newsletter (ISBN 0-9545172-0-2). It's one of the only books we've read that was written with common sense in mind and readily adapts to our Tams (Andy Case's comes a close second).
The main thing we adhere to is keeping things simple and not to listen to (or read books from) anyone who thinks all pigs should be pink and live in a shed all their lives....

Cheers

Gavin

Rosemary

• Joined Oct 2007
  • Barry, Angus, Scotland
    • The Accidental Smallholder
« Reply #16 on: March 07, 2009, 01:31:44 pm »
I've just received the Compassion in World Farming's latest magazine. There's a featture on pig keeping in Europe, including the UK. Heartbreaking, truly heartbreaking.

DavidnChris

« Reply #17 on: March 07, 2009, 03:27:33 pm »
We're all hanging on tenter hooks now, in what way?

Hilarysmum

• Joined Oct 2007
« Reply #18 on: March 07, 2009, 04:45:56 pm »
Please Rosemary can you paraphrase it for us?

rustyme

Rosemary

• Joined Oct 2007
  • Barry, Angus, Scotland
    • The Accidental Smallholder
« Reply #20 on: March 07, 2009, 08:37:18 pm »
Yup, that's pretty much it. It also shows the inaccuracy of labelling and how the consumer is deliberately mislead. Lets just say the little red tractor doesn't mean much is you are a pig.

sausagesandcash

• Joined Jan 2009
  • UK
    • IrishHandcraft
« Reply #21 on: March 07, 2009, 11:01:38 pm »
Wouldn't it be great if, by law, you had to label your products with a picture of the animals living conditions....no more pictures of country meadows for a lot of producers me-thinks!

Slight digression found a very interesting site on GM additives in feed http://ngin.tripod.com/foodstatements.htm , well worth a look. A lot of us might just start milling our own feed!

Morgan  :farmer:

Mattlynch

• Joined Jan 2010
« Reply #22 on: January 25, 2010, 06:11:50 pm »
Hello there everyone. I work in the day, I leave home at 7:30 get home at 6:30. Is there anyway I could keep a couple of pigs?

sausagesandcash

• Joined Jan 2009
  • UK
    • IrishHandcraft
« Reply #23 on: January 25, 2010, 06:26:48 pm »
Hi Matt,

They will need to be fed twice a day, and have water and shelter and sufficient space (Pigs go through ground super fast especially in wet weather). You'll also need good fencing,that being said we just use two strands of mains electric fencing, and have never really had any problems.

As long as you make the time for them, they are hugely rewarding....and a great way to de-stress after a crappy day. Think of them as kids that don't answer back!!

You're also going to have to do your homework, but there's plenty of books you can get before taking the leap. Also read all the posts in this section, you'll learn loads and have a good laugh.

Regards,

Morgan

gavo

• Joined Aug 2008
  • Belcoo, Enniskillen, N.Ireland
  • Crazy Pig Lover
« Reply #24 on: January 26, 2010, 01:37:51 pm »
Is there any one around your property at all during the day just to pop their head in so to speak to the pig pen to check on water etc;cos unless you have an automatic water fill they could have a very long period of time without water if they toss it soon after you have tended them in the morning just something to bear in mind .Also if an animal takes ill etc that's an awful long time without attention.Perhaps something a little less time consuming might be better if no one is around during the day.

Jackie

• Joined Nov 2009
« Reply #25 on: January 26, 2010, 03:24:46 pm »
Like most animals (and kids) it doesnt matter what you read cos the animals dont read the same books. Sometimes you just have to get the animals and learn as you go along.

What is more important is that you respect the animals and try your best.

Besides a lot of peple are hands on learners, I know I am.

marigold

• Joined Jul 2009
  • Kirriemuir Scotland
« Reply #26 on: January 26, 2010, 10:02:29 pm »
It would be tough in the winter. I feed my pigs just now at first  light and then they get their tea at 4.00 pm so you would have a couple hours longer than me without seeing them. My OH is around through the day but he is busy so doesn't talk to them much. I found when it was very cold and dark it was hard work. :pig: :pig:
kirsty

Hilarysmum

• Joined Oct 2007
« Reply #27 on: January 28, 2010, 05:18:45 pm »
The biggest difficulties will be if you had a sick pig, very difficult to cope with that in the dark, and if they escaped.  Perhaps you could share pigs with someone who could do half the work for you.

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS