Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Birds off there feet  (Read 2236 times)

Cjnewton82

• Joined Nov 2012
Birds off there feet
« on: March 01, 2015, 11:44:59 pm »
I have 4 birds off there feet today they are on clean ground which is dry for this time of year and drains well. There is no sign of swelling or cuts on any of the birds but they are all lame on 1foot. The leg they are lame on feel very hot to the touch (so some kind of infection) other than that no symptoms any ideas? For either course of possible treatment

Mammyshaz

• Joined Feb 2012
  • Durham
Re: Birds off there feet
« Reply #1 on: March 02, 2015, 12:29:18 am »
What breed are they?

chrismahon

• Joined Dec 2011
  • Gascony, France
« Reply #2 on: March 02, 2015, 07:56:59 am »
Sounds like it could be bumble foot caused by jumping from a high perch onto hard ground Cjnewton. Perches should be no more than 18 inches high, preferably with a soft landing underneath like wood shavings. It can develop into an infection in the ball of the foot.

Heavy breeds are most likely to suffer and our old Orpingtons don't like to perch at all. Even on the 9" high ones provided, which have since been taken out.

Cjnewton82

• Joined Nov 2012
« Reply #3 on: March 02, 2015, 09:43:33 am »
I have Astralorp chickens
They are very big birds.
Thanks for the advice

Womble

• Joined Mar 2009
  • Stirlingshire, Central Scotland
« Reply #4 on: March 02, 2015, 11:36:22 am »
Chris, would there not be external blistering if it's bumblefoot?  Whenever I've seen it, the hens have had these big brown warty looking things:

"All fungi are edible. Some fungi are only edible once." -Terry Pratchett

chrismahon

• Joined Dec 2011
  • Gascony, France
« Reply #5 on: March 02, 2015, 01:42:23 pm »
That's the next stage Womble. They swell then the pad skin splits. The brown is leaking puss mixed with soil.

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS