Smallholders Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Welshcob - protein purification/heptavac saving  (Read 1687 times)

Advertisement

princesslayer

• Joined Jan 2013
  • Tadley, Hants
Welshcob - protein purification/heptavac saving
« on: March 02, 2015, 10:06:52 pm »
This is aimed at Welshcob - I know we've gone on about this a bit recently.

I went on a lambing talk recently, and there was lot's of talk about how it's fine to re-seal a heptavac bottle and put it in the fridge for four weeks time.  You recently said the quote below and I was wondering if you would be willing to expand a bit, so I can make up my own mind about this issue.

The thing I don't understand is (having never seen a bottle of heptavac):
How is it sealed?  Once opened, can it be re-sealed properly?
I'm assuming it contains a proteins from the bacteria clostridium/pasteurellosis which stimulate an immune response, thereby protecting the ewe?
What gets into/out of the bottle when it's opened to cause the proteins to start to degrade?
Why don't they degrade in the bottle prior to opening?

Hope you don't mind the questions - they keep bugging me!!!

:thinking:

Quote ''I am a farm vet looking at lots of dead lambs every year, mostly of clostridial disease and pasteurellosis, and would never ever risk vaccinating them ineffectually with a vaccine that has been opened for weeks. It really does go off, the drug companies don't test it because there is no point in doing so - purified proteins do not last and they are not going to spend money to show something they already know (this comes from someone - me - who's done a PhD on protein purification).
Some bacterial proteins might last a few more days than others but all slowly degrade sooner or later and if you inject with a bottle open for more than 12 hours or so you are just wasting time as it is fresh water by then.''
Keeper of Jacob sheep, several hens, Michael the Cockerel and some small children.

ewesaidit

• Joined Aug 2011
Re: Welshcob - protein purification/heptavac saving
« Reply #1 on: March 03, 2015, 08:31:47 pm »
hmm ..... also intrigued           my vet advised that it would be ok to do the first heptavac p injection, put the bottle straight back in the fridge and use it for the 2nd one       didn't say anything about sealing the bottle

harmony

• Joined Feb 2012
« Reply #2 on: March 03, 2015, 08:51:57 pm »
When I first used Heptavac I read the info on the bottle and didn't question that after ten hours the product wouldn't be any good. Then other people said " I keep mine in the fridge and use it up" and "my vet says it will be fine to keep in the fridge and use up". So, I contacted the manufacturers and asked them. Their reply was they have no data on the vaccine after being opened for over 10 hours.

I read the quote by Welshcob also.

I have no reason to doubt either the Heptavac info or Welshcob.

If people are vaccinating water after 10 hours and more are they have problems in their flocks?

Womble

• Joined Mar 2009
  • Stirlingshire, Central Scotland
« Reply #3 on: March 03, 2015, 09:45:08 pm »
The thing I don't understand is (having never seen a bottle of heptavac):
How is it sealed?  Once opened, can it be re-sealed properly?

It comes in a rigid bottle with a rubber membrane seal. To draw off a dose, you stick the needle through the seal and then suck it up into the syringe.

So thinking practically, the possible causes of contamination are:
  • bacteria on the needle (which came straight out of a sterile package)
  • contamination on the surface of the rubber (which you can swab first with a surgical wipe)
  • leakage into the bottle after you've taken the dose (the rubber will re-seal fairly well, and then you can also cover the lid again with tape or similar)
  • Leakage into the bottle from the air, as it 'breathes in' to equalise pressure after you've taken your dose (unavoidable)
I'm not qualified to quantify the risk above though. Presumably most of the time it works out ok, but sometimes it's an issue. The problem is, you don't know which is which!
"All fungi are edible. Some fungi are only edible once." -Terry Pratchett

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS