Smallholders Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Starting a business producing kid meat??  (Read 2214 times)

CJolly

• Joined May 2015
Starting a business producing kid meat??
« on: May 08, 2015, 07:11:50 pm »
Hi everyone,

Me and my partner are thinking about starting our own business producing kid meat,
Has anyone got a similar business? any advice on where to begin would be great?

Any answers to my questions would also be much appreciated.
Who are your main buyers?
Would you say there was a demand for this?

Thanks,
Chloe  :D :D

clydesdaleclopper

• Joined Aug 2009
  • Aberdeenshire
Re: Starting a business producing kid meat??
« Reply #1 on: May 10, 2015, 11:09:06 am »
I think demand may depend upon where in the country you are and the ethnic mix. I don't sell any of mine as it's too yummy and we eat it all ourselves but there are a couple of producers local to me, one of whom sells at farmer's markets.

Do you have experience in keeping goats?
Our holding has Anglo Nubian and British Toggenburg goats, Gotland sheep, Franconian Geese, Blue Swedish ducks, a whole load of mongrel hens and two semi-feral children.

Anke

• Joined Dec 2009
  • St Boswells, Scottish Borders
« Reply #2 on: May 10, 2015, 12:59:48 pm »
Seems to be quite fashionable at the moment.... but it does require serious market research beforehand.

Our spare males don't make it to someone else's freezer... ;D

verdifish

• Joined Jan 2013
  • banffshire
« Reply #3 on: May 10, 2015, 01:08:42 pm »
1st thing to do is stop calling it Kidd meat as I puts people off ! Goat meat sells the product better !

plumseverywhere

• Joined Apr 2013
  • Worcestershire
    • Its Baaath Time
    • Facebook
« Reply #4 on: May 10, 2015, 01:36:28 pm »
I have a friend who sells goat meat, she also makes goat sausages which are amazing! She has posters up in local farm shops and I think sells quite a bit that way.  I'm often asked if I sell goat meat when I'm running my soap stall so it seems there IS a market BUT... I'd also consider that fact that some of the communities that eat a lot of goat might not want their meat stunned pre slaughter so that might be another consideration.

I agree with verdifish, the term kid conjures up images of cute little baby goats jumping about in the sunshine rather than a curry to a lot of people  :)
Smallholding in Worcestershire, making goats milk soap for www.itsbaaathtime.com and mum to 4 girls,  goats, sheep, chickens, dog, cat and garden snails...

fiestyredhead331

• Joined Sep 2012
  • NW Highlands
    • Facebook
« Reply #5 on: May 10, 2015, 01:56:42 pm »
selling goat meat is part of our crofting business so spare boys going to local restaurants, get the skins back and they go to a local craft shop and milk going for cheeses, on a small scale as we don't have the space to go large  :(
you could try marketing it as Chevon (sp?) rather than kid meat, its kinda like people who think when they eat lamb they are eating the cute little jumpy ones cavorting amongst the daffodils  ::)
keeper of goats, sheep, pigs, ducks, chickens, turkeys, dogs, cats, goldfish and children, just don't ask me which is the most work!

verdifish

• Joined Jan 2013
  • banffshire
« Reply #6 on: May 10, 2015, 02:46:59 pm »
We sell a fair amount and if we get the new farm it will be a large part of our plan ! Ethnicity is having less and less to do with goat meat sales .A lot of people are realising how healthy and tasty it is and are prepared to pay a premium for it ! The problem we've had is demand way outstripping supply and it never good to let people down if your not able to supply as you will loose custom that wont return so start small and let word of mouth do the rest , what breed\ breeds are you using and what acreage do you have available ???

winkhound

• Joined Sep 2014
« Reply #7 on: May 10, 2015, 06:16:12 pm »
Speak to Lizzie Dyer, she is fairly new to it but doing well. it is very fashionable at the moment and becoming increasingly so.

http://cotswoldkidmeat.com/

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS