Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: anyone ever had any experience of this?  (Read 2575 times)

beagh-suffolks

• Joined Oct 2014
anyone ever had any experience of this?
« on: February 13, 2015, 11:25:31 pm »
was lambing a ewe today , she had a set of twins both living, when i pulled the first lamb i got it nearly out then its hips got jammed stuck, wouldnt budge at all, eventually with quite a bit of force we got her out, the second one came flying out on its own..anyone ever have this happen? ive never saw this before..
« Last Edit: February 14, 2015, 12:18:30 am by beagh-suffolks »

mowhaugh

• Joined Jul 2013
  • Scottish Borders
    • Facebook
Re: anyone ever had any experience of this?
« Reply #1 on: February 14, 2015, 03:38:36 am »
It is very rare that I actually lamb a sheep, ours hardly ever need assistance, but we do lamb everything indoors so I do see a lot lamb, my best guess would be that she was having a contraction, and so just needed to let it pass  Otherwise, no, that does sound unusual.

moony

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Dent
« Reply #2 on: February 14, 2015, 08:10:43 am »
Agree with Mowhaugh. Its just a contraction clamping down on the lamb. Assisting isn't my thing, anything we need to gets its p45 so others may be more insightful.

SallyintNorth

• Joined Feb 2011
  • Cornwall
  • Rarely short of an opinion but I mean well
    • Trelay Cohousing Community
« Reply #3 on: February 14, 2015, 08:42:29 am »
This is not unusual with meat lambs with 'good conformation'.  I am always banging on about it not being the head that matters when looking at easy lambings, but being the shoulders and hips.  In meat lambs, these should be the widest parts!

If it's just a one-off, don't worry about it.  If you get several, you may need to think about changing your tup for one with slightly less development in the gigot area ;)
Don't listen to the money men - they know the price of everything and the value of nothing

Live in a cohousing community with small farm for our own use.  Dairy cows (rearing their own calves for beef), pigs, sheep for meat and fleece, ducks and hens for eggs, veg and fruit growing

farmvet

• Joined Feb 2014
« Reply #4 on: February 14, 2015, 09:50:46 pm »
Yes as SallyINT  says its not uncommon in chunky lambs & calves. Often rotating the calf/lamb  a bit towards 90degrees helps, plenty of lube & if there's room sliding a hand ( finger in lambs) under the leg to straighten the stifle. Often the stifles are catching on the pelvic brim & all the muscle mass is jamming up the pelvic canal. Once you've got this far its too late for a casear.

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS