Smallholders Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: New to Chickens, Maldon Essex...  (Read 3111 times)

Drewcole81

• Joined Jun 2008
New to Chickens, Maldon Essex...
« on: June 25, 2008, 08:26:50 am »
Morning all!

Just building my first chicken house and have a couple of questions.... sorry!

I have a 6ft square shed that I am converting into a Hen house, then a outisde run attached thats about the same size.

How many Chickens could be kept in there, they will be allowed to free range sometimes when we are home but locked in during the day so will only have the run and house.
I was thinking 4 hens but not sure if that would be too many for the space.
Would it matter the bread? I am looking at getting some Reds... when I can find some!

Thanks for any advice you can give

Drew. 

jacyjones

• Joined Jun 2008
  • Aberystwyth, Mid Wales
Re: New to Chickens, Maldon Essex...
« Reply #1 on: June 25, 2008, 09:23:54 am »
Hi, good to see you on here - hope some others can give you some good advice. I still think 2 or 3 birds is going to be the right number but see if you get other opinions that are different. Cheers.
Husband, 2 teenage daughters, 1 horse, 2 Springers, 2 White khaki campbells, 5 black rocks, 1 warren and 2 pet rats :)

The Chicken Lady

• Joined Mar 2008
  • Cheshire
Re: New to Chickens, Maldon Essex...
« Reply #2 on: June 25, 2008, 09:35:53 am »
The shed will be fine for four chickens. They will be outside in the run for most of the day only going in the shed at night to roost, and in the day to lay eggs - make sure they have a nest box in there to lay their eggs, and also to shelter from the wind and rain. OK maybe they will spend quite abit of time in there  :-[ Seriously though they should be fine. Do let them free range as much as possible. I am lucky in the fact that mine have plenty of space in the fields. I leave them out all the time in the day regardless of whether I am in or out. They go in at night themselves and I have no trouble with foxes.
Karen

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS