Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Talk to me about sausage making!!  (Read 8120 times)

Birdie Wife

• Joined Oct 2008
Talk to me about sausage making!!
« on: December 04, 2009, 11:56:40 am »
I'm taking charge of a whole red deer hind carcass tomorrow... I've read up a couple of books and I'm going to get sausage skins from the local butcher and make sausages with a fair chunk of it, as well as boned rolled raosting joints and mince, as that's what we eat most.  Any tips and recipes would be most welcome!

chickenfeed

Re: Talk to me about sausage making!!
« Reply #1 on: December 04, 2009, 01:48:47 pm »
 ;)iced water is a must for any sausage making and work well a bit like a dough until the sausage meat is almost sticky the seasoning is down to taste.

Andrew

• Joined Dec 2007
« Reply #2 on: December 04, 2009, 01:52:20 pm »
I have made both the recipes under and each one is really delicious. Please let us know how you get on.

Venison Sausage
•   
•   3 lbs well trimmed venison. Make sure the deer meat is clean of any blood clots, sinew, or other connective tissue.
•   1 lb boneless pork shoulder
•   1 lb pork fat or fatty trimmings, well chilled
•   3 tablespoons rubbed sage
•   1 tablespoon crushed red pepper flakes
•   2 tablespoons salt
•   2 tablespoons medium ground black pepper (fresh is best)
•   1 cup ice water

1.   Trim all the meat, cut it and the fat into 1 inch cubes, and grind it all through the medium plate of your meat grinder.
2.   Combine the spices in a small container and mix with the 1 cup of ice water.
3.   Pour the spice and water combination into the ground meat mixture and mix thoroughly for at least 2 minutes. Use your hands for mixing to assure even distribution.
4.   Once the deer sausage is fully mixed, either stuff it into 1 lb capacity plastic meat bags or make it into patties.
This sausage should be cooled as soon as it is done. It can be kept in the refrigerator for 2-3 days.
These recipe amounts can be easily multiplied for larger batches.

Breakfast Venison Sausage
•   4 lbs vension
•   1 lb pork fatback, very well chilled
•   2 teaspoons ground mace
•   2 teaspoons rubbed sage
•   1 tablespoon plus 1 teaspoon salt
•   3 cloves chopped fresh garlic (or 2 teaspoons granulated)
•   1 cup ice water
1.   Trim the venison of all bloody areas and tough connective tissue, cut it into 1 inch cubes, and grind it through the medium plate of your meat grinder along with the very cold pork fatback..
2.   Combine the spices in a small container and mix with the 1 cup of ice water.
3.   Pour the spice and water combination into the ground venison and fat and mix thoroughly for at least 2 minutes. Use your hands for mixing to assure even distribution.
4.   Once the sausage is fully mixed, either stuff it into casings  or make it into patties or bulk packages.
Make sure you cool this sausage as soon as it is done. It can be kept in the refrigerator for 2-3 days or in the freezer for up to 3 months. By the way, fatback is the layer of fatty meat found under the skin along the back of a pig (hence the name). If you can't find it, substitute very fatty pork shoulder or pork fat trimmings.

Hilarysmum

• Joined Oct 2007
« Reply #3 on: December 06, 2009, 09:45:10 am »
I would either hang the sausages in a very cool place (preferably fridge), or at least stuff into a pillowcase; overnight to absorb any excess water

Wizard

• Joined Nov 2009
  • North East Lincolnshire
« Reply #4 on: December 24, 2009, 04:18:17 pm »
 :)Although not really a venison sausage To make good Lincolnshire Sausage I use meat to the ratio of a lb of pork trimmings 1/2 lb of pork back fat and a cup of wet then squeezed out stale bread crumbs Season with sage pepper and salt to your taste.Place all the ingredients into a bowl and squeeze through your fingers until really well mixed then stuff into skins.Cumberland is much the same but add grated nutmeg to the mixture.I find that any meat at these ratios works well beef, pork or  mutton.I see no reason why you don't make an experimental lb then you can adjust your seasoning. Just make the lb and make a small pattie and fry taste and adjust.Fry another pattie until you are satisfied with the result.Try it it isn't much to use for a perfect to you sausage is it? 8)
Don't do today what can be put off until tomorrow because today will be yesterday tomorrow

Birdie Wife

• Joined Oct 2008
« Reply #5 on: January 18, 2010, 03:42:27 pm »
Update!

Well I tried a batch standard seasoning, OH did one with lots of paprika, and I did one with rosemary and redcurrants and they were all fab! Thank you al for your recommendations  8)

Hilarysmum

• Joined Oct 2007
« Reply #6 on: January 19, 2010, 07:28:32 am »
I'm sitting here dreaming of sausages now

mr.pitt

• Joined Apr 2010
  • Humberside
  • Im 24 and have been a butcher since leaving school
« Reply #7 on: April 25, 2010, 12:30:45 am »
you could try a game sausage, using belly pork, venison, partridge, whatever game you have at hand really.

Seasoning wise why not try a venison and a whisky flavour sausage, or venison and cranberry.

If you would like some pre made seasonings try a company online called the dalesman group, they are a leading company within the meat industry for sausage seasonings, bacon cures etc... they can either supply a 1 off seasoning pack or give you a  wide variety of popular flavours you could use.

Hope this helps.

Wizard

• Joined Nov 2009
« Reply #8 on: April 25, 2010, 08:02:41 am »
Ohhh you've gone and upset me now Birdie I shall have to go to Wragby this week now and get some makings I've been putting it off what with one thing and another.I cannot find in Grimsby a decent sausage they are all anemic taste of nothing fried or baked pork waste to me.I think its to do with true Grimsby folk living on Haddick (haddock to us) in the war years and cannot stand anything with taste.
Don't do today what can be put off until tomorrow because today will be yesterday tomorrow

sheila

• Joined Apr 2008
  • Mablethorpe Lincolnshire
« Reply #9 on: May 17, 2010, 10:56:05 am »
I haven't made sausages for ages because last time I sent away for sausage skins I bought enough to last until the next century. does anyone know where I can get a few, and I mean, a few, skins?

Wizard

• Joined Nov 2009
« Reply #10 on: May 17, 2010, 12:17:58 pm »
Wiz usually lets me have a few sheila There are lots of suppliers on Google all sorts to do with the making of

Birdie Wife

• Joined Oct 2008
« Reply #11 on: May 18, 2010, 12:51:44 pm »
I got some from my local butcher - he was quite happy to sell me a small handful, or as few as I needed :) I overestimated though and still have a few left! They weren't expensive.

JulieS

• Joined Mar 2009
  • Devon - EX39 5RF
    • Ford Mill Farm
« Reply #12 on: May 18, 2010, 12:54:47 pm »
I can supply anyone in this area, Devon.  I buy in bulk, but can let you have as many or as few as you like.
 :)
Pedigree GOS Pigs and Butchery for Smallholders.

SimonD

• Joined May 2010
  • Exmoor
« Reply #13 on: May 19, 2010, 11:00:49 am »
Hi, I also make a lot of sausages, and a good tip is to make certain when you have made your mixture, always fry a small patty and taste it for flavour and seasoning before you stuff the skins, and keep tasting (it's a tough job) each time you change the mix until you're really happy, and then stuff the skins.  That way you're guaranteed to like the sausages.

I've found this helps me anyway.
The Self Sufficiency Bible - a great book for smallholders

Hilarysmum

• Joined Oct 2007
« Reply #14 on: May 24, 2010, 02:26:01 pm »
I buy my skins in bulk so freeze any leftovers, although my friend says they keep for months in the fridge if you salt them really well.

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS